New York City cats, as you might expect are unlike cats from other cities, towns, villages or wide-open spaces. They are as sine qua non as every other feature of the place. Original, unusually cool and smarter than the rest, just like any other New Yorker.
You might also notice that many of them are black. That’s not just because of the soot from all those taxis and buses (although that does play a role). It’s also due to a quirk in genetics that causes more black cats to be born in NYC than any other color.
So, without further ado, here are 10 of the coolest cats you’ll find in NYC.
by David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
1. The Brooklyn Black
This is the cat you’ll see most often in the most populous borough. His favorite pastime is lounging on a stoop or fire escape, taking in the sights and sounds of the borough he calls home. He’s unpretentious and down to earth, but don’t be fooled – he’s one of the coolest cats around.
2. The Central Park Cat
This feline is a bit rarer but can often be found taking a stroll through Central Park on a beautiful day. She’s the epitome of elegance and sophistication and loves nothing more than people watching and getting a good head scratch now and then.
3. The Soho Cat
The Soho cat is a bit more of a homebody and can often be found curled up on a comfy chair in one of the many trendy cafes or boutiques that line the streets of this neighborhood. He’s well-traveled and well-read and loves nothing more than a good conversation.
4. The Chinatown Cat
The Chinatown cat is as mysterious as the neighborhood she calls home. She’s always on the move and can rarely be seen in the same place twice. She loves to explore and is always on the lookout for a new adventure.
5. The Greenwich Village Cat
This cool cat calls Greenwich Village home, and can often be found hanging out in Washington Square Park or people watching from a cafe window. He’s laid back and easygoing and loves nothing more than a good game of fetch (or chase, depending on his mood).
6. The Upper East Side Cat
This cat is as posh as they come, and can often be found lounging on a rooftop deck or in a luxury apartment. She’s well-groomed and well-dressed and loves nothing more than a good meal and some treats to wash it down.
7. The Upper West Side Cat
The Upper West Side cat is very similar to his UES counterpart, but with a bit more of a laid-back vibe. He loves nothing more than a good nap in the sun, and can often be found stretched out on a park bench or in a sunny spot in his home.
8. The Harlem Cat
The Harlem cat is cool, confident and totally unique. She’s not afraid to speak her mind and loves to strut his stuff in the heart of this historic neighborhood. She’s a survivor and has the scars to prove it.
9. The Lower East Side Cat
This cat is as scrappy as they come, and can often be found dodging cars on the busy streets of the Lower East Side. He’s tough and street-smart and knows how to hold his own in a fight. He’s also one of the most loyal friends you’ll ever meet.
10. The Staten Island Cat
This cool cat calls Staten Island home, and can often be found taking a ride on the ferry or exploring one of the many parks and beaches that line the island. He’s laid back and easygoing and loves nothing more than a good game of fetch (or chase, depending on his mood).
So there you have it! 10 of the coolest cats you’ll find in NYC. Whether you’re a native New Yorker or just visiting for a short time, be sure to keep an eye out for these feline friends.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Why cats are the best-evolved animals in the modern worldThere’s no denying that cats are some of the most fascinating creatures on the planet, but are they also the best-evolved? And while there are many reasons why they’re so special, one thing, in particular,
- What is a cat’s lifespan now? Shorter than ours but…Cats are one of the most popular pets in the world, and a cat’s lifespan varies depending on a number of factors. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at how long cats typically
- Cats Quotes – Insightful and Amusing Words from Smart MindsNational Cat Day is October 29th, and looking ahead, that got us thinking about all the ways cats have entwined themselves in peoples’ lives. This collection of cats quotes illustrates the breadth and depth of
- Which cats are hypoallergenic? Get the Benefits Without the SneezingWhile there are many different breeds of cats, not all of them are hypoallergenic. In general, hypoallergenic breeds tend to have less fur and produce less of the protein that causes allergies in humans. As
- You can tell a lot about a man by how his cat feels about himby Millie Procter A lot of people think that you can’t judge a man by his cat. But I beg to differ. I believe that you can learn a lot about a man by the