A love of cats makes New York City a great place to live – even for the cats. You see them everywhere, feral and domestic, at least one for every personal lifestyle and community.
by David Stone
As an animal lover, I’m extremely grateful that my domesticated pet of choice does not demand walks out in all kinds of weather at all hours. And they’re so effortlessly clean and well-groomed. I thought about that when coming up with 10 reasons why New York City is a great place to be a cat. But that was about me. Still, these are endearing qualities that convince us to go out of our way in making life good for them.
Don’t get me wrong. I love dogs, too. And rabbits and birds and even reptiles. Our animal kingdom is an unending source of amazement, but at least in New York City, a lot of them would be even happier if they were cats.
Gotham cats are smarter too because of their exposure to the smartest people in the world – although a lot of them are visitors. That’s along with being the most pampered, beautiful and admired. It just goes with the territory, from Red Hook out to Fordham Road.
Counting down the evidence: Why New York City is the best place to be a cat
10. You know that cats have it too good when a cat café in Manhattan is housed in a penthouse apartment with panoramic views of Central Park.
9. Although most cats prefer Uber to subways, dozens of cats live and roam freely through the underground tunnels citywide, starting as far north as 125th Street.
8. Alley cats have it better in New York City than anywhere else – they scavenge for food with less fear of being attacked by dogs or other predators. And supplies are plentiful as restaurants overcharge for more food than most people want or can eat.
7. A recent study found that cats living in multi-unit dwellings (like apartments and condos) were much more likely to be overweight than cats living in single-family homes. And nobody calls any parts of the bodies “love handles.”
6. In New York City, it’s not uncommon to see cats perched atop fire escapes or taking a nap on a sunny windowsill. There is plenty of leisure and great places for indulging in it.
5. There are more than a dozen veterinary clinics specializing in cats throughout the city, so felines can always get the best care – like it or not.
4. You’re never more than a few blocks away from a pet store that sells high-quality cat food and supplies. And expensive toys they won’t like because they prefer cardboard or scrap paper.
3. The city’s robust feral cat population means there’s always someone to play with, whether it’s in Central Park or at any impromptu space across the five boroughs.
2. New York City is home to some of the world’s most prestigious cat shows like The CFA-Iams Cat Championship held each year in Madison Square Garden. Millions of dollars coated in cat fur wander around, waiting for the next treat or looking for napping space.
1. There’s no better place to be a cat than New York City! With so many options for food, fun, and adventure, cats of all personalities can find a purr-fect home here.
Top cat cafés in New York City
- Brooklyn Cat Cafe. 76 Montague Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201.
- Meow Parlour. 46 Hester Street, New York, NY.
- Meow Parlour Patisserie. 34 Ludlow Street, New York, NY.
- Koneko. 26 Clinton St., New York, NY.
New York City may be the best place for a dog, too. Or a squirrel. A dancer. A writer. A painter or anyone looking for possibilities. We’ll ask around and get back to you.
Buy me a coffee.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- What is a cat’s lifespan now? Shorter than ours but…Cats are one of the most popular pets in the world, and a cat’s lifespan varies depending on a number of factors. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at how long cats typically
- Cats Quotes – Insightful and Amusing Words from Smart MindsNational Cat Day is October 29th, and looking ahead, that got us thinking about all the ways cats have entwined themselves in peoples’ lives. This collection of cats quotes illustrates the breadth and depth of
- Which cats are hypoallergenic? Get the Benefits Without the SneezingWhile there are many different breeds of cats, not all of them are hypoallergenic. In general, hypoallergenic breeds tend to have less fur and produce less of the protein that causes allergies in humans. As
- You can tell a lot about a man by how his cat feels about himby Millie Procter A lot of people think that you can’t judge a man by his cat. But I beg to differ. I believe that you can learn a lot about a man by the
- 40% Off Cat Note Card Sets While They Last. Buy Now.Deborah Julian Art Newsletter, October 2022. This month it’s all about sales because we are closing out our stock of economy-based notecard packs. They’ve been popular for a long time, but nothing lasts forever. It’s