It puzzles people that cats sleep so much, but not when their owners prefer – like in the early morning when they tend to wake up the house. And although many cats sleep a lot, each has individual preferences. It’s hard making general statements about cats and sleep because they all do their own thing.
by David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
It’s like there aren’t any rules.
Why do cats sleep so much in general, though?
The answer is that sleeping is an essential part of being a cat. People, too. Cats are crepuscular, meaning they are most active at dusk and dawn. In addition, cats have a thin coat of fur and need to conserve heat during the day when they’re sleeping.
Mostly, however, cats sleep heavily because their evolved prey does too; mice and birds take long naps in between meals and that’s the best time for catching them. However, their habit of sleeping in between activities actually works against them, making them more vulnerable to predators.
This is one reason why cats spend so much time grooming themselves: it’s a way to stay awake, pass the time and keep their coats shiny and healthy. More commonly, cats hide while sleeping. The practice evolved because it’s safer.
A cat’s sleep cycle is different than that of humans and many other mammals. While other mammals are usually in REM (rapid eye movement) sleep for short periods, cats spend most of their sleep time in slow-wave sleep. Slow-wave sleep is also known as phase three, the deepest state of non-REM sleep. It’s when they’re “catching up” on rest and conserving energy.
It isn’t unusual to see your cat sleeping more than usual—for example, if she’s just had surgery or is recovering from an illness. Like with humans, if your cat doesn’t get the rest she needs, her health suffers.
…try to enjoy her sleeping while you can…
The amount of sleep a cat needs varies somewhat by age and activity level—younger cats need more sleep than older ones because they’re growing, while active kittens often don’t sleep much at all. If your cat seems to sleep more than usual, one of the first things you should do is make sure there are no health problems.
But if your kitty does seem normal, try to enjoy her sleeping while you can—soon enough she’ll be wide awake and ready for playtime!
Additional notes: Cats’ personalities also affect their sleep patterns. For example, if you’ve ever had more than one cat, you may have noticed that even siblings tend to act very differently when they’re not chasing each other around. Some cats are loners who will sleep most of the day and only play at night; others are ready to go all night long.
If your cat is an early bird, you can use catnip to help keep him awake during playtime. If he’s more of a night owl, try a toy that will encourage him to pounce and chase at night—like a flashlight!
Cats sleep a lot because it’s necessary to do so. Their sleep cycles are different from those of most other mammals and they need to conserve their energy when hunting. Their personalities also affect how much they sleep—some cats are early birds while others are night owls. Bottom line: they’re a lot like some people you know, with minds and habits distinctly their own and hard to change.
Buy me a coffee.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- What is a cat’s lifespan now? Shorter than ours but…Cats are one of the most popular pets in the world, and a cat’s lifespan varies depending on a number of factors. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at how long cats typically
- Cats Quotes – Insightful and Amusing Words from Smart MindsNational Cat Day is October 29th, and looking ahead, that got us thinking about all the ways cats have entwined themselves in peoples’ lives. This collection of cats quotes illustrates the breadth and depth of
- Which cats are hypoallergenic? Get the Benefits Without the SneezingWhile there are many different breeds of cats, not all of them are hypoallergenic. In general, hypoallergenic breeds tend to have less fur and produce less of the protein that causes allergies in humans. As
- You can tell a lot about a man by how his cat feels about himby Millie Procter A lot of people think that you can’t judge a man by his cat. But I beg to differ. I believe that you can learn a lot about a man by the
- 40% Off Cat Note Card Sets While They Last. Buy Now.Deborah Julian Art Newsletter, October 2022. This month it’s all about sales because we are closing out our stock of economy-based notecard packs. They’ve been popular for a long time, but nothing lasts forever. It’s
Love Is In The Air Black Cat Art Greeting Cards$8.99
Black Cat Art Greeting Cards (5-Pack) Handmade$35.00
Black Cat Lovers Fine Art Handmade Greeting Card$7.99
Black Cat Art, Billy’s Jump, Fine Art Print$28.00
Matisse Still Life Cat Art Parody Handmade Note Card$8.99
Matisse Still Life Cat Art Parody Fine Art Print$28.00
Everything Tastes Better with Cat Hair In It Fine Art Print$28.00
Everything Tastes Better with Cat Hair in It (5 Pack) Handmade Greeting Cards$34.99
Everything Tastes Better with Cat Hair in It Handmade Greeting Card$7.99