The Southtown Dog Run was set for replacement – or at least improvement – in 2019. That’s when RIOC yielded to community pressure, squashing a plan jammed into Blackwell Park.
by David Stone
The Southtown Dog Run: Fit for Dogs… or Anything?
In October, 2019, community opposition mounted against RIOC’s plans for relocating the Southtown Dog Run in a corner of the already crowded Blackwell Park. And in December, according to a report in the Roosevelt Islander, then President/CEO Susan Rosenthal cancelled the plan. She said RIOC “…listened to some community opposition.”
Those were the days, weren’t they?
Rosenthal added that the “temporary” dog run in open space where Building 9 was planned needed an upgrade to go with a move. But then, after the unseemly unseating or Rosenthal in June, 2020, the plans stalled. Dog owners are left with the choice of an inadequate, unpleasant space or finding somewhere else for free play.
Plenty of dog walkers show us that dogs abound in Southtown, yet the ugly dog run is almost always empty. Is anyone at RIOC paying any attention.
Current President/CYA Shelton J. Haynes hasn’t bragged about coming up with a cure nor has he shown evidence of even awareness. That’s unfortunate because the Southtown Dog Run is ugly as sin, unfair to both dogs and their companions and again signals the degrading of quality of life issues on Roosevelt Island.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Are New York City Streets Getting Filthier? The Numbers Aren’t So ClearMayor Eric Adams’ war on trash and rats has led him to increase funding for more litter-basket pickup and lot-cleanup programs — but his office is at odds with New York’s Strongest about how they measure whether a street is clean or dirty. The mayor’s preliminary management report released Monday shows a marked drop in
- Motorgate Rate Increases, As Foolish As They Are UncaringSometimes, you run out of words. Describing RIOC’s heartless and thick-headed Motorgate rate increases backs us against the wall in frustration. Already grossly incompetent, management under Governor Kathy Hochul and CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J. Haynes, the state agency now adds heartlessness to its luster. How can we keep up the daily flow of blunders?
- How To Make Your Small Business MemorableBecome a familiar business in your community. Discover how to make your small business memorable and make a lasting impression on consumers.
- Common Testing Doctors Use To Find CancerIf your doctor’s worried that you have cancer, there are specific tests they’ll order. These are a few of the common tests doctors use to find cancer.
- Tribeca vs Chelsea in NYC. Which is best for you?If you’re thinking of moving to New York City, you’re probably wondering what the difference is between Tribeca vs Chelsea. Both neighborhoods are great places to live, but they each have their own unique vibe. Here’s a quick rundown of the differences between these two NYC gems. by David Stone Location – Tribeca is located