The percentage of positive COVID test results in New York City dropped fast over the last several days, strongly suggesting the Omicron/Delta surge is passing. Roosevelt Island registers much better than average.
by David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
As of January 10th, when the city’s positive rate hit a high of 22.1%, Roosevelt Island was behind the curve at 20%. A relatively small difference, but when you look at neighborhood by neighborhood results, the community was among the lowest in the city. The Omicron/Delta surge jammed many others near the top.
Roosevelt Island’s high vaccinated rate of 91% – fully vaccinated, 81% – plays a role as does awareness created by the increased presence of PSD officers in Tram cabins and on buses. Where they were once a common cause for alarm, maskless passengers are now rare.
Perhaps the greatest impact came from elected officials, City Council Member Julie Menin and State Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright, pitching in mobile testing, KN95 face mask handouts and vaccine awareness. Both filled in where a characteristically absentee RIOC remained mostly asleep at the wheel.
While local statistics lag, New York State Department of Health reports show the city positivity rate plunging to 18% by the 12th. Roosevelt Island almost certainly followed that sharp downward trend.
A quick aside on vaccinations
Getting vaccinated is a personal choice, even though it affects everyone around you. But a glance at recent statistics is an eye-opener.
The most recent results from the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene show a 7-day average of 189 COVID-19 cases among vaccinated people. Compare that with a stunning 757 among the unvaccinated. Not convincing enough? The comparison among those hospitalized is more dramatic: 25 unvaccinated to 3 vaccinated.
The message is clear: Get vaccinated. It’s good for you and, also, everyone around you.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
[…] With the Omicron/Delta Surge Passing, Roosevelt Island, With A Little Help From Our Friends, Is Among The Best […]