As New York City absorbed more sobering news about racism, Roosevelt Islanders responded with an AAPI Stop the Hate Rally. It was organized in just a couple days, but brought dozens out on Saturday.
Photos courtesy of rally organizer Rachel Dowling
Inspired by a mass killing in Atlanta, Roosevelt Islanders quickly spread the word about a rally on Facebook, and it was a typical local event. That is, not like anywhere else. Organizers drew residents as much in support of their AAPI neighbors as in protest.
Six of those killed in Atlanta were identified as Asian.
In the meantime, the struggle in New York brought media coverage with five new hate crimes against Asians.
And Police Commissioner Dermot Shea told PIX11 that NYPD investigated ten anti-Asian hate crimes so far in 2021. For the same period, last year, there were none.
Not without some bumps along the way, the Roosevelt Island community welcomes shifting demographics with culture-rich dynamics.
Saturday’s rally echoed a Black Lives Matter rally held in the same spot during the national George Floyd protests, last June.
- Senator José Serrano’s disingenuous claims don’t cut it as RIOC board conflict deepensAs Jeffrey Escobar did the right thing as a nonresident, resigning from RIOC’s board of directors, State Senator José Serrano openly mislead the community about his role. The Roosevelt Islander blog reported his comments from a September 30th meeting. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News State Senator José Serrano on His Role in
- The Ugly AVAC Breakdown Now Extends Trash Heaps Through Roosevelt LandingsThe crisis caused by a nearly six month AVAC breakdown grew, this week,as the trash collection mess extended into Roosevelt Landings. Roosevelt Landings is the community’s largest resident complex. Photos of smelly trash bags, stacked at curbs, Manhattan-style, underscores RIOC incompetence as well as indifference. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The AVAC
- Canadian Geese Graze Through a Gentle Autumn in Southpoint ParkAs a slow and gentle autumn eases across New York, a small crew of Canadian Geese share the sunset in Roosevelt Island‘s Southpoint Park. The Roosevelt Island Daily News Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- You’re Invited: Public Opening Reception for Connie Tanner’s “The Roosevelts” at the Octagon GalleryOpening Reception: Thursday, October 21 from 5-8 pm 2021 Venue: Octagon Gallery – 888 Main St. Roosevelt Island, NY 10044 Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- A Headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse… Is It Still a Lighthouse?The now headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse poses a dilemma. Once a lighthouse loses its head, is it still a lighthouse? The Roosevelt Island Daily News By any of its previous names – Blackwell Island Lighthouse, Welfare Island Lighthouse – the Roosevelt Island Lighthouse, over nearly 150 years, never lost its head. It’s historic plus, designed