Yesterday, it was spring for one day on Roosevelt Island as 60 degree weather brought strollers out on the promenades and on Main Street. The other half of topsy-turvy lands today.
by David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
Out and About
My goal, walking up the East Promenade was simple. The crabapple trees under the Roosevelt Island Bridge Helix are the first to blossom, beating out cherry blossoms by a week or so. I hoped I’d catch the first burst, but they weren’t close.
That still made a great reason for getting out for a walk – coatless – on our spring for one day. The walkways along the East River were filled with strollers, and a RIOC crew was busy with spring clean up.
After checking out the trees, I turned down Main Street and immediately met friends. Across from PS/IS 217, I talked with RIVAA President Tad Sudol and artist Ioan Popoiu. With pandemic restrictions pulling back, they’re opening this year’s Vernissage on March 5th.
Crossing Main Street, Nisi owner Kaie Razaghi told me what most Roosevelt Islanders already know – Main Street business has been terrible since the Omicron surge. But being ever resilient, Kaie’s planning a new menu in a few weeks, and we will bring it to you.
The best surprise was meeting the Roosevelt Islander blogger near Blackwell House. Before I discovered it, he spotted the awful handicapped un-access sign being removed. He’d already sent me a photo.
Things change. And that includes the weather. Temperatures go in the wrong direction today, falling through the 40s and 50s, ending our spring for one day. After a cool, dry weekend, Monday brings a high in the 50s. By Wednesday, we see 60s again.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
[…] 60° weather warms Roosevelt Islander with promise. […]