Posing in colorful costumes on the steps at FDR Four Freedoms State Park, Ballet Hispánico celebrates Pride Month in 2022. The steps are decorated with the city’s largest pride flag, this year featuring the arrow of progress.
About Ballet Hispanico
Founded in 1970, Ballet Hispánico is America’s premier Latino dance organization. They celebrate the ever-evolving diversity of cultures through dynamic dance performances, unique educational opportunities and an inclusive environment that embraces all.
Diversity is at the heart of everything they do, bringing people together, celebrating our commonalities, appreciating our differences and exploring the American experience through a Latinx lens. Everyone has a seat at the table and a voice in the conversation.
Latino dance is an ever-evolving art form that reflects the changing cultural landscape of America. At Ballet Hispánico, they create a more inclusive society by sharing the joy of dance with people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities.
The group is proud to be a leader in promoting Latino arts and culture and is committed to making programs accessible to everyone. They offer a variety of free and low-cost events throughout the year, including the annual Festival de la Danza Hispánica, which takes place in New York City’s Washington Heights neighborhood.
Ballet Hispånico also offers a variety of educational programs, which provide professional development opportunities for dance educators and aspiring dancers.
Ballet Hispánico is more than just a dance company — they are a family.
more from the roosevelt island daily news
- Smart Planning Means a Happy, Peaceful 4th of JulyThe 4th of July, 2022, on Roosevelt Island was as peaceful — pre-fireworks — as it was sunny and warm. Advance planning paid off with previous years’ problems never developing. by David Stone The Roosevelt
- Main Street, Roosevelt Island, What Most Visitors Never SeeAbout the long-neglected tree beds on Main Street, a resident wrote, “They are first and foremost eyesores, and then safety hazards. It’s impossible to believe — No, wait – not impossible — the neglect going
- After a Lost Election, A Better Idea for Roosevelt Island“Neither Marc nor I won,” Joyce Short answered our inquiry. She meant the contest for two seats on the Democratic State Committee. She and fellow Roosevelt Islander Marc Block ran in partnership. Entering late with
- OMNY for the Tram: Frustrations Prompt a Petition DriveAn OMNY for the Roosevelt Island Tram petition states it simply: “We are asking the MTA and RIOC between them to remedy this.” The solution is simple. Install OMNY Card readers in two Tram locations, but
- Interesting Fact #9 – The First Product Sold Online Was a Sting albumThe first product ever sold online was a Sting album. On August 11, 1994, the album was sold on Netscape’s website for $12.48. This was significant because it marked the beginning of eCommerce and showed