Standing tall in the fight against COVID, Roosevelt Islanders lead the way forward into a promising New Year. Sticking together, lining up in the cold, calmly waiting for tests and vaccines, a community committed to a brighter future...
By David Stone
The Fight Against COVID Fills Good Shepherd Plaza
Meeting demand, on Tuesday, the city sent a third-party van to Roosevelt Island for testing as well as vaccinations.
Roosevelt Islanders did not disappoint. In the morning, the line for tests stretched the length of Good Shepherd Plaza, all the way to the East River.
Temperatures in the low 30s challenged anyone standing still for extended periods. And that included PSD officers braving the weather, maintaining lines and offering helpful advice.
Not as long but equally effective in the fight against COVID, the line for vaccinations parallelled the one for testing.
A Roosevelt Island only moment…
But then, in one of those Roosevelt Island only moments, Nisi’s owners came out with a rare gesture of generosity.
“While people waited to be tested by the church on Tuesday, the owner of NISI brought a large dispenser and distributed cups of hot chocolate to at least 100 people on the waiting lines, the testing-truck staff and RIOC Public Safety staff.”
Our thanks to our friend Sylvan Klein for the tip and especially to Nisi for investing in the community again.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Are New York City Streets Getting Filthier? The Numbers Aren’t So ClearMayor Eric Adams’ war on trash and rats has led him to increase funding for more litter-basket pickup and lot-cleanup programs — but his office is at odds with New York’s Strongest about how they
- Motorgate Rate Increases, As Foolish As They Are UncaringSometimes, you run out of words. Describing RIOC’s heartless and thick-headed Motorgate rate increases backs us against the wall in frustration. Already grossly incompetent, management under Governor Kathy Hochul and CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J.
- How To Make Your Small Business MemorableBecome a familiar business in your community. Discover how to make your small business memorable and make a lasting impression on consumers.
- Common Testing Doctors Use To Find CancerIf your doctor’s worried that you have cancer, there are specific tests they’ll order. These are a few of the common tests doctors use to find cancer.
- Tribeca vs Chelsea in NYC. Which is best for you?If you’re thinking of moving to New York City, you’re probably wondering what the difference is between Tribeca vs Chelsea. Both neighborhoods are great places to live, but they each have their own unique vibe.