Roosevelt Island COVID rates for infections remain under 1% but a rise is likely. Cooler weather brings us indoors, giving the Delta variant more chances for spreading. Good news, though – our vaccination rate is decent and boosters are here.
By David Stone
For Now, Roosevelt Island COVID Rates Are Under Control
Recently, the Department of Health reports only one positive test for COVID for Zip Code 10044, on average. You can see why.
Roosevelt Island’s relative remoteness gives us a buffer against infection similar to what we get with crime. Because we’re still part of a crowded city, our protection’s not complete, but it’s always a plus.
But a good part of it is a credit to a community that looks out for each other. Without a word from drivers, for example, Red Buses cruise Main Street routinely with every passenger, even children, masked. Late in the summer, RIOC’s Public Safety Department stepped up its presence on buses and in Tram cabins. Enforcement increased awareness, good enough for good neighbors.
That’s not saying we can’t do better, though.
Where Do We Stand on Vaccines?
Although Roosevelt Island is doing well fighting off COVID infections, our vaccination rates lag behind every nearby community. Our community vaccination rate is 79.1% for first does, not enough for herd immunity, but every neighboring community in Queens reports from 85 to 100%. We can do better.
And last week, the Food and Drug Administration okayed vaccine booster shots for all adults. You can even mix and match between Moderna and Pfizer vaccines, although a six month wait after your second shot is required. Johnson & Johnson’s single shot vaccine requires only a two-month wait.
Getting fully vaccinated and seeking a booster will improve Roosevelt Island COVID rates and make everyone safer. The City’s helping with websites that indicate regular locations for getting shots and where pop up vaccine sites are open daily. (Duane Reade/Walgreens, the only Roosevelt Island resource, is Moderna only.)
- Click here for vaccine mobile and pop up sites, updated daily.
- Or just enter your Zip Code at the City’s Vaccine Finder website.
Let’s push Roosevelt Island COVID rates even lower on our way back to normal.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit —
- Main Street Now – How We Can Do Better, Tip #1When we take an honest look at Main Street now, it’s cringe-worthy. Even the easy improvements get little notice, and as we pointed out yesterday, slipshod appearances surround the handful of solid businesses. We can
- Main Street Retail Now, a 2023 ReviewIn the past, we looked at Main Street retail every year, comparing, looking to the future, but the pandemic changed everything. An analysis under extreme circumstances seemed unrealistic. But that’s in the past. It’s time
- Hochul blasted for rejecting retail theft task force(The Center Square) — New York Gov. Kathy Hochul is being criticized for vetoing a bill to create a crime task force to address the loss of billions of dollars to retail shoplifting across the
- Fear on the F Train Shuttle during rush hour with no help anywhereWhile the MTA and cooperative media shovel safety pabulum at the public, subway fear is real and continuing as an F Train incident yesterday showed. Not only are dangers increasing, but it’s more concerning that