In a third day of COVID testing and vaccines, Roosevelt Islanders waited again in a long line, the length of Good Shepherd Plaza. It was a microcosm of what the recent infection surge brought to New York as well as across America.
By David Stone
Third Day of COVID Testing and Vaccines
Scattered complaints marred a success story of Roosevelt Islanders meeting the challenges as a community, standing tall against the spread of COVID.
Keeping things in perspective, a month ago, many residents faced a choice. Either take a risk on public transit or go without testing altogether. Then, after listless RIOC failed to respond effectively, two politicians stepped in and brought a testing van here.
Julie Menin, elected to the City Council in November, hadn’t even taken office yet before wading in. And State Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright came through on a promise to push until help arrived. While long, cold lines and RIOC’s gross failure in refusing to let people waiting hours for tests to use nearby restrooms, Menin and Seawright stood out, standing up for residents.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- What Black History Means to the 19th StaffBlack History Month has been reserved to acknowledge and commemorate the achievements of our ancestors, their great contributions and what they’ve done for the world. Growing up we learn about the likes of Frederick Douglass,
- A Budding RIOC Bromance Softens the Sugary NarcissismThe RIOC bromance between President/CEO Seldom Seen Shelton J. Haynes and Akeem Jamal first blossomed as Haynes’s longtime friend, Altheria Jackson, was shown the door. Haynes was so taken with Jamal, he hired him at
- New York City’s Energy Future on Roosevelt Island’s HorizonThe Ravenswood Generating Station, just across the river from Roosevelt Island, becomes a key to New York City’s energy future with a transition to offshore wind power. The facility, long known as a significant source
- Why cats are the best-evolved animals in the modern worldThere’s no denying that cats are some of the most fascinating creatures on the planet, but are they also the best-evolved? And while there are many reasons why they’re so special, one thing, in particular,
- Five Mindfulness Quotes Bringing Light and Insight for Life“Mindfulness” is a word that gets tossed around a lot these days. But what does it really mean? Is it just another fad or buzzword? Actually, mindfulness is an ancient practice with proven benefits for