Last week, we reported on RIOC’s brutal cherry tree hacking, blown off as “pruning.” It was crude, unprofessional and mindless. But on follow-up, we found something worse.
By David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
How Amateurish Neglect Made the Cherry Tree Hacking Worse
As we reported when a resident discovered a crew butchering a long row of cherry trees south of the Queensboro Bridge, the work was less than amateurish. Done at the worst possible time of the year, the so-called “pruning” was not that. Cherry tree hacking was more like it because they chopped the wrong limbs in a mindless blast of sawing.
RIOC Chopped Down a Healthy Red Maple, Then Left the Remains Rotting Along Main Street
This line of trees thrilled residents and visitors for decades but, through negligence, are at risk of survival.
Cherries are prone to disease, so be sure to clean up all the discarded remnants. Also, cover all cuts with a tree sealant to fend off disease.Gardening Know-How
But a follow-up visit shows that the state agency that never makes a mistake compounded the damage, failing with a crucial task.
All trees, but especially fruit trees, are susceptible to invasion from disease-causing bacteria, harmful fungi and insects when left unprotected. As you can see above, no protective sealant was applied to dozens of exposed injuries.
In comparison, this is like amputating an arm or a leg and not using so much as a crude bandage. The hacked-off cherry limbs are as at risk as any living thing would be. They have internal defenses, just as we do, but not enough for a brutal event like this one.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- The Tug-of-War for New York City’s Streets: Iconic Avenues with Unbelievable HistoriesHey there, fellow street wanderers! Ever wondered how the bustling, iconic avenues of New York City came to be? We’re about to take a fast ride through the histories of NYC’s most famous streets. From
- Tips for Owning a Small Construction CompanyRunning a construction business can be incredibly rewarding. Look at these tips for owning a small construction company for fantastic advice.
- Weed Retailers Rail Against ‘Financial Slavery’ in State Cannabis RolloutGabriel Poblete and Rosalind Adams, The City This article was originally published on Jun 7 4:18pm EDT by THE CITY State officials in charge of New York’s slow-to-start retail cannabis rollout met with license-holders Tuesday
- Mayor Eric Adams’ Sister-In-Law Landed $150,000 City Government GigYoav Gonen, The City This article was originally published on Jun 8 5:01am EDT by THE CITY The administration of Eric Adams appointed the mayor’s sister-in-law Sharon Adams to a job at the city Department
- How to Stay Safe as Hazardous Wildfire Smoke Engulfs New YorkSamantha Maldonado and Rachel Holliday Smith, The City This article was originally published on Jun 7 3:04pm EDT by THE CITY Smoke from wildfires in Canada brought another day of especially bad air quality in
[…] I quickly posted an article, then followed up with a notice that the debacle was worse than expected because the crew left the branches chopped off unprotected by any sealant. […]