Last week, we reported on RIOC’s brutal cherry tree hacking, blown off as “pruning.” It was crude, unprofessional and mindless. But on follow-up, we found something worse.
By David Stone
How Amateurish Neglect Made the Cherry Tree Hacking Worse
As we reported when a resident discovered a crew butchering a long row of cherry trees south of the Queensboro Bridge, the work was less than amateurish. Done at the worst possible time of the year, the so-called “pruning” was not that. Cherry tree hacking was more like it because they chopped the wrong limbs in a mindless blast of sawing.
This line of trees thrilled residents and visitors for decades but, through negligence, are at risk of survival.
Cherries are prone to disease, so be sure to clean up all the discarded remnants. Also, cover all cuts with a tree sealant to fend off disease.Gardening Know-How
But a follow-up visit shows that the state agency that never makes a mistake compounded the damage, failing with a crucial task.
All trees, but especially fruit trees, are susceptible to invasion from disease-causing bacteria, harmful fungi and insects when left unprotected. As you can see above, no protective sealant was applied to dozens of exposed injuries.
In comparison, this is like amputating an arm or a leg and not using so much as a crude bandage. The hacked-off cherry limbs are as at risk as any living thing would be. They have internal defenses, just as we do, but not enough for a brutal event like this one.
The Roosevelt Island Daily News is committed to covering its community without bias or shrinking from thorny issues. We need your support in our mission. Reading is always free but our expenses are not. Please chip in.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Tribeca vs Chelsea in NYC. Which is best for you?If you’re thinking of moving to New York City, you’re probably wondering what the difference is between Tribeca vs Chelsea. Both neighborhoods are great places to live, but they each have their own unique vibe.
- Is Tribeca Worth Visiting? It’s New York City’s Film CenterIf you’re looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Tribeca is not the place for you. However, if you’re looking for a place to find some of
- Can Bromance Turn Into Romance?Hollywood would have us believe that bromance is simply a close, Platonic friendship between two men. But what if there’s more to it than that? What if bromance can turn into something deeper, something more
- 10 Reasons why you’d love living on the Upper West Side in New York CityHave you ever thought about living on the Upper West Side in New York City? Well, if you haven’t, you should! Here are 10 reasons why: by David Stone AD-> “Living on the UWS just
- Racism on the Red Bus: Lost and Found or Left Behind?Racism on the Red Bus stunk its way onto an Octagon Red Bus yesterday, the first day of Black History Month. Found on a seat, it was either lost or – more likely – deliberately