As for the new elevator, “And it’s brilliant……fast, spacious, well-lit,” our reader wrote. And he described the experience as “polite.” We went over and checked it out.
by David Stone
Not a minute too soon, a new Manhattan-bound side elevator opened this weekend in the Roosevelt Island MTA NYC Subway station. RIOC’s callous disregard for residents left physically challenged individuals without safe and effective options for travel all weekend as well as most of the time on weekdays.
But the new elevator, shiny, quiet and smooth in operation, solves that. Its modern style contrasts nicely against the station’s poured concrete, brutalist design.
As you can see from the video, not just the physically challenged but stroller moms and dads are welcome too.
more from the roosevelt island daily news
- Smart Planning Means a Happy, Peaceful 4th of JulyThe 4th of July, 2022, on Roosevelt Island was as peaceful — pre-fireworks — as it was sunny and warm. Advance planning paid off with previous years’ problems never developing. by David Stone The Roosevelt
- Main Street, Roosevelt Island, What Most Visitors Never SeeAbout the long-neglected tree beds on Main Street, a resident wrote, “They are first and foremost eyesores, and then safety hazards. It’s impossible to believe — No, wait – not impossible — the neglect going
- After a Lost Election, A Better Idea for Roosevelt Island“Neither Marc nor I won,” Joyce Short answered our inquiry. She meant the contest for two seats on the Democratic State Committee. She and fellow Roosevelt Islander Marc Block ran in partnership. Entering late with
- OMNY for the Tram: Frustrations Prompt a Petition DriveAn OMNY for the Roosevelt Island Tram petition states it simply: “We are asking the MTA and RIOC between them to remedy this.” The solution is simple. Install OMNY Card readers in two Tram locations, but
- Interesting Fact #9 – The First Product Sold Online Was a Sting albumThe first product ever sold online was a Sting album. On August 11, 1994, the album was sold on Netscape’s website for $12.48. This was significant because it marked the beginning of eCommerce and showed