Although RIOC has not yet favored the community with an advisory, they posted information on their website. Because few poke around in that unpredictable space, we decided to share what we found here.
by David Stone
The 2022 Summer Movie Series
The series, this year, improves on last year’s parade of R-Rated, profanity and violence filled series RIOC blasted into Southtown residences. For 2022, it’s family fare, although their announcement page was not without the usual confusion and illiteracy.
The website notice is short on words, which makes it even more surprising that they made a major error as well as a virtual admission that whoever writes these things for the error-prone state agency is bewildered about the island.Join Amazon Prime – Watch Thousands of Movies & TV Shows Anytime – Start Free Trial Now
“A series of films to be shown on a 40 foot screen at South Point Park (South of Cornell Tech and the Tram); includes trivia, fun facts, food vendors, and music!”
Skip over the illiterate us of the semicolon (a punctuation mark (;) indicating a pause, typically between two main clauses, that is more pronounced than that indicated by a comma.) Then, go straight to the jaw-dropper.
What the hell is “South Point Park?”
Well, we know, don’t we? It’s an imagined place dreamed up by someone who knows Roosevelt Island about as well as most of us know Chinese algebra.
To the credit of the state agency never makes a mistake, they get it right on the poster: Southpoint Park. So, why didn’t anyone help the hapless writer who has now made the “South Point” mistake twice already?
The Tradition of Outdoor Summer Movies
There’s something special about summer movies. Maybe it’s the novelty of seeing a film outdoors, or the sense of community that comes from sharing the experience with other moviegoers. Whatever the reason, summer movies have been a tradition for generations.
One of the earliest summer movie traditions began in New York City in 1933, when engineer Richard Hollingshead transformed his driveway into an impromptu screening room. To improve the sound quality, he mounted a speaker on his car and played the audio through an open window. Hollingshead’s invention quickly caught on, and drive-in movie theaters began popping up across the country.
Today, summer movies are enjoyed by people of all ages. From classic films like The Goonies to modern blockbusters like Jurassic World, there’s something for everyone at the local drive-in or outdoor screening. So grab some popcorn and enjoy the show!
The Daily appreciates your support helping out with our expenses.
Also from the roosevelt island daily news
- GOOD NEWS FOR THE 65 MILLION AMERICANS WHO RELY ON SOCIAL SECURITYWith their run-off victory in Georgia, Democrats now have a mandate to protect Social Security. Here’s what they need to do next. By Nancy J. Altman | December 7, 2022 Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News Social Security was on the ballot in Georgia’s December 6 run-off election. Senator Reverend Raphael Warnock’s re-election victory there
- Team RIOC Is Missing. Organize the Search Party Right AwayAt noon on November 9th, one month ago, a RIOC Advisory said, “Please be advised that there was a water main break affecting the water access to the Lighthouse Comfort Station’s restrooms and the North Dog Run’s water fountain. Team RIOC will be working around the clock to have the water restored.” But there were
- The Girl Puzzle Deserted in Lighthouse Park, Just One Year LaterWith just short-term historical memory in play, The Girl Puzzle, deserted like a no longer cuddly stuffed doll, is troubling. Hundreds of dollars plus priceless creativity went into putting it there, and now wasting in the rain… Why? by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Just a year ago, in an exciting ribbon-cutting ceremony,
- The Art of Complaining Like a Pro NowEveryone has experienced a situation where they find themselves complaining about something. Maybe you got bad service at a restaurant, or your flight was delayed, or your phone isn’t working properly. In these cases, it’s helpful knowing the art of complaining effectively. With the right attitude and approach, you can actually get what you want
- What was it like living in New York City in the early 20th Century?Have you ever wondered what it was like to live in New York City during the early 20th century? Well, today we’re taking a little trip back in time to explore what life was like for people living in one of the most iconic cities in America. From the bustling streets of Manhattan to the