By David Stone
The plaque, identifying a building providing elevator service to Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge, arrived by car. Historical Society leader Judith Berdy arranged it.
She promised a good home, but until a crew mounts in reserved space on the wall, it rests in a comfy corner on the floor.
An unexpected reference on the plaque lists Bird S. Coler as Commissioner. Decades later, a hospital on Roosevelt Island would be named after him.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- RIOC’s Board Meeting Moved to October 28thAfter failing again at meeting public open meeting law requirements, RIOC, without explanation, stalled its October board meeting to the last Thursday of the month. Roosevelt Island Daily News About RIOC’s October 28th Board Meeting Please take notice that a
- This Year, early voting begins on October 23rd.Every NYC voter can vote early in person before Election Day. Voting early is convenient, fast, and flexible. Where to vote You must vote at your assigned early voting site. Your early voting site may be different from your Election Day
- Senator José Serrano’s disingenuous claims don’t cut it as RIOC board conflict deepensAs Jeffrey Escobar did the right thing as a nonresident, resigning from RIOC’s board of directors, State Senator José Serrano openly mislead the community about his role. The Roosevelt Islander blog reported his comments from a September 30th meeting. By
- The Ugly AVAC Breakdown Now Extends Trash Heaps Through Roosevelt LandingsThe crisis caused by a nearly six month AVAC breakdown grew, this week,as the trash collection mess extended into Roosevelt Landings. Roosevelt Landings is the community’s largest resident complex. Photos of smelly trash bags, stacked at curbs, Manhattan-style, underscores RIOC
- Canadian Geese Graze Through a Gentle Autumn in Southpoint ParkAs a slow and gentle autumn eases across New York, a small crew of Canadian Geese share the sunset in Roosevelt Island‘s Southpoint Park. The Roosevelt Island Daily News Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts