by David Stone
Alex Webb & Saint Laurent in a Funhouse Mirror
Madison Square Park sets at the center of the Flatiron District. It’s a gathering place, a lunch stop, and the site of art installations – like the one that Webb and Saint Laurent put together.
Over the last 45 years, Webb has focused on illuminating and interpreting social and political events through his complex and vibrant color photographs of serendipitous or perplexing moments that are often found in locations with socio-political rifts. Webb has worked in a variety of settings throughout his career, including the U.S.-Mexico border, Haiti and Istanbul.
“My work is questioning and exploratory,” he says. “I believe in photographs that convey a certain level of ambiguity, that ask questions rather than provide answers.”
But in Madison Square Park, that blended with photos done for fashion house Saint Laurent. The results reflect the energy, vibrancy and contradictions of New York City.
The mix of art – the mirror outside, the photography inside – made for a memorable three-day event set in a popular but tranquil Midtown park.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The Gap Show: RIVAA Has An Opening On SaturdayThe Roosevelt Island Daily News davidstone1313 See author's posts
- “New elevator open early,” read the subject line. It’s true.As for the new elevator, “And it’s brilliant……fast, spacious, well-lit,” our reader wrote. And he described the experience as “polite.” We went over and checked it out. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News
- New York City in a Funhouse Mirror with Art InsideYou may see New York City from many points of view, but a funhouse mirror is usually not one of them. Not until Magnum Photos star Alex Webb paired with Saint Laurent in Madison Square
- Linden Trees in Bloom FDR Four Freedoms State ParkIt’s subtle. Pale yellow highlights spread through the fresh green of spring along rows of Linden Trees in FDR Four Freedoms State Park on Roosevelt Island in New York City. The early blossoms hint at
- Ballet Hispanico Returning, Joins Others, Free To Be You, June 18thBallet Hispanico, Freeze Dance, Drag Story Hour, Face-Painting and more – all on the agenda for Free To Be You on June 18th, Saturday, in FDR Four Freedoms State Park. The Roosevelt Island Daily News