The New York City budget for 2022-23 was both earlier and more contentious than usual, but Roosevelt Island came out ahead. According to City Council Member Julie Menin, a couple of capital projects will directly benefit the community.
by David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
Roosevelt Island in the City Budget
“I am ecstatic that this year’s budget brings back over $21 million in funding for our district to support parks, schools, libraries, hospitals, community centers, public housing, and safer and cleaner streets,” Menin said in a press release.
Among the benefits is money for public schools.
“Each public school in the district received at least $50,000 towards critical technology, auditorium or infrastructure upgrades,” she said.
But education funding, reduced in this year’s budget, remains a cause of concern for many, especially progressives.
For Coler Specialty Hospital
For the city hospital that weathered the worst of the COVID crisis, Menin found money for a critical need: $300,000 to replace Roosevelt Island’s Coler Hospital fire alarm system which is beyond its usable life cycle.
The facility, which gets too little notice in the community, plays a vital role in healthcare, spawning activist groups like the Reality Poets who’ve offered inspiring performances locally in recent years.
Help for Our Library
In addition, the budget made real money Menin set aside for technology upgrades at the NYPL Roosevelt Island branch.
“The New York Public Library is grateful to the community for selecting our branches – Roosevelt Island, Webster and 67th Street libraries – to be the recipients of $250,000 for technology improvements,” added Sumie Ota, The New York Public Library’s Associate Director for the East Manhattan Library Network.
Summing up, Menin said, “I am proud to bring back the necessary and requested resources to the East Side of Manhattan that will improve the quality of life in our community.”
More from the Roosevelt island daily news
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
[…] Money for Roosevelt Island: Menin Sets Aside Cash in the City Budget for Projects […]