On Saturday evening at around 7:30 p.m., 3 women were robbed of $86K in jewelry and other luxury items outside the Graduate Hotel on or near the Cornell Tech campus. Police reports say that the women were accosted at their car by 3 armed men. The incident marred graduation weekend at Cornell Tech.
by David Stone
3 Women Robbed: A Crime of Opportunity?
Information is sketchy, so far, but the Graduate Hotel appears linked by location only. Of the 3 women robbed, two were sitting in a car on the street nearby. Another stood outside. 3 armed men approached.
Before driving away in their own undescribed vehicle, the gunmen relieved them of an estimated $86K in goods, including a wedding ring, Gucci Slippers, Dior Purse, Cartier Watch and Bracelet, Hermes Kelly Bag and Bracelet and more.
The police did not release additional details explaining why the women were hanging out with such a haul or how the alleged thieves knew about it. While it’s possible the men were trolling for victims on a big weekend at Cornell Tech, Roosevelt Island is an unlikely target because it lacks easy access by car.
The Cornell Tech campus has its own security, and RIOC’s Public Safety Department was not heavily involved.
more from the roosevelt island daily news
- Shuffling Schedules, RIOC Creates a Greater Gap with the CommunityA greater gap between RIOC and Roosevelt Islanders is not what elected officials expected when they grilled board chair RuthAnne Visnauskas earlier this year. Visnauskas assured Senator Liz Krueger and Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright that
- Now Is Your Chance for a Great Deal on Art, Thanks to Gallery RIVAAStarting Thursday, December 7th, you can take home some great art from our local artists at Gallery RIVAA, 527 Main Street. Affordable Art lasts just four days but brings a chance to win art as
- Can we talk… with RIOC? CB8 invites Roosevelt Island engagementCommunity Board 8 (CB8) Roosevelt Island committee chair, Paul Krikler, opens a window next week where the community can connect. That’s not just with RIOC, but it’s also with each other and a shot at
- New York City Health & Hospital’s Community Mural Project Graces Coler“Healing in Community,” a part of NYC Health & Hospitals’s mural project, went live on December 1st at Roosevelt Islands’s Coler Rehabilitation Center. It’s one of nine additions to the wide-ranging effort this year. by
- The “Eviction Machine” Now Slams Into Roosevelt IslandAs a community, we always thought we were immune from these things, but the “eviction machine” described in a New York Times article, is building up momentum, attacking Roosevelt Island’s most vulnerable residents. by David