On Saturday evening at around 7:30 p.m., 3 women were robbed of $86K in jewelry and other luxury items outside the Graduate Hotel on or near the Cornell Tech campus. Police reports say that the women were accosted at their car by 3 armed men. The incident marred graduation weekend at Cornell Tech.
by David Stone
3 Women Robbed: A Crime of Opportunity?
Information is sketchy, so far, but the Graduate Hotel appears linked by location only. Of the 3 women robbed, two were sitting in a car on the street nearby. Another stood outside. 3 armed men approached.
Before driving away in their own undescribed vehicle, the gunmen relieved them of an estimated $86K in goods, including a wedding ring, Gucci Slippers, Dior Purse, Cartier Watch and Bracelet, Hermes Kelly Bag and Bracelet and more.
The police did not release additional details explaining why the women were hanging out with such a haul or how the alleged thieves knew about it. While it’s possible the men were trolling for victims on a big weekend at Cornell Tech, Roosevelt Island is an unlikely target because it lacks easy access by car.
The Cornell Tech campus has its own security, and RIOC’s Public Safety Department was not heavily involved.
more from the roosevelt island daily news
- Smart Planning Means a Happy, Peaceful 4th of JulyThe 4th of July, 2022, on Roosevelt Island was as peaceful — pre-fireworks — as it was sunny and warm. Advance planning paid off with previous years’ problems never developing. by David Stone The Roosevelt
- Main Street, Roosevelt Island, What Most Visitors Never SeeAbout the long-neglected tree beds on Main Street, a resident wrote, “They are first and foremost eyesores, and then safety hazards. It’s impossible to believe — No, wait – not impossible — the neglect going
- After a Lost Election, A Better Idea for Roosevelt Island“Neither Marc nor I won,” Joyce Short answered our inquiry. She meant the contest for two seats on the Democratic State Committee. She and fellow Roosevelt Islander Marc Block ran in partnership. Entering late with
- OMNY for the Tram: Frustrations Prompt a Petition DriveAn OMNY for the Roosevelt Island Tram petition states it simply: “We are asking the MTA and RIOC between them to remedy this.” The solution is simple. Install OMNY Card readers in two Tram locations, but
- Interesting Fact #9 – The First Product Sold Online Was a Sting albumThe first product ever sold online was a Sting album. On August 11, 1994, the album was sold on Netscape’s website for $12.48. This was significant because it marked the beginning of eCommerce and showed