RIOC’s bungling in its handling of current Tram update issues has already been reported. Notices are sent out late, barely readable on Twitter, and while woefully incomplete, they get repeated in spam email blasts ad infinitum. But the current lack of regard for public safety is simply shocking. Long a clown show, RIOC now shambles along in search of any kind of responsible leadership.
by David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
All photos courtesy of Judith Berdy, the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS)
“PSD just ignores all the basic safety precautions,” said Judith Berdy, president of the Roosevelt Island Historical Society. Her group shut down operations because of unsupervised recklessness with equipment at the site.
“I am so frustrated from the lack of anyone who cares,” she added.
Where are our elected officials? Where is NYPD? Where is NYPD?
The larger question is why RIOC, an agency overseen from Albany by Governor Kathy Hochul’s operatives, repeatedly gets a pass on behavior never before acceptable here.
“We have closed the kiosk due to OVERHEAD CONSTRUCTION, until we consider it safe to re-open,” Berdy said.
“We have never been told by RIOC about the construction and have to move for the safety of our staff and visitors.”
Last Word on RIOC and Public Safety
Today is the 45th anniversary of my moving to Roosevelt Island (0n 7/7/77) and I have never been so distressed as to the complete lack of any kind of administration and staffing of the island. We are being left to our own devices by a group of persons who are absent and ignoring their responsibility to the thousands who live and work here.
How sad!!!!Judith Berdy
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
[…] we reported on gross negligence of public safety during construction at the Roosevelt Island Tram Plaza. By afternoon, RIOC reluctantly corrected […]
[…] RIOC Reckless: Disregard for Public Safety at Tram Construction Site Forces Closing […]