RIOC’s bungling in its handling of current Tram update issues has already been reported. Notices are sent out late, barely readable on Twitter, and while woefully incomplete, they get repeated in spam email blasts ad infinitum. But the current lack of regard for public safety is simply shocking. Long a clown show, RIOC now shambles along in search of any kind of responsible leadership.
by David Stone
All photos courtesy of Judith Berdy, the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS)
“PSD just ignores all the basic safety precautions,” said Judith Berdy, president of the Roosevelt Island Historical Society. Her group shut down operations because of unsupervised recklessness with equipment at the site.
“I am so frustrated from the lack of anyone who cares,” she added.
Where are our elected officials? Where is NYPD? Where is NYPD?
The larger question is why RIOC, an agency overseen from Albany by Governor Kathy Hochul’s operatives, repeatedly gets a pass on behavior never before acceptable here.
“We have closed the kiosk due to OVERHEAD CONSTRUCTION, until we consider it safe to re-open,” Berdy said.
“We have never been told by RIOC about the construction and have to move for the safety of our staff and visitors.”
Last Word on RIOC and Public Safety
Today is the 45th anniversary of my moving to Roosevelt Island (0n 7/7/77) and I have never been so distressed as to the complete lack of any kind of administration and staffing of the island. We are being left to our own devices by a group of persons who are absent and ignoring their responsibility to the thousands who live and work here.
How sad!!!!Judith Berdy
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Mystery Solved. The Reindeer on the Roosevelt Island TramThe photo of the reindeer on the Roosevelt Island Tram always intrigued me. But I can’t even recall how I got it. I can’t even say which was more puzzling – the calm and steady
- Is Political Corruption as Widespread as Many Now Think?Corruption is a problem in many countries around the world. it is defined as the abuse of power by a person or group for personal gain. It can take many forms, including bribery, embezzlement, and
- Love Your Clothes Again: Eileen Fisher RenewDo you have a closet full of clothes you love but don’t wear anymore? Eileen Fisher Renew is here to help. We take your gently-worn Eileen Fisher clothes and give them new life. Not only
- Happy Shelton J. Haynes Cheapskate Holiday Now from RIOCWas a cheapskate holiday for Roosevelt Island exactly what RIOC President/CEO had in mind when RIOC’s contractor spread a much-reduced collection of decorations in early November? Downplaying local traditions is a hallmark of his administration.
- Governor Kathy Hochul Has A Message for Roosevelt Islanders: Get Lost!“Get lost!” The message from Albany shot loud and clear down the Hudson, landing on our little Island. Hochul vetoed a bill constructed by Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano, coordinating with Roosevelt