Opening last night, Curtains filled the Howe Theatre with the songs, dances, comedy and drama that once thrilled audiences on Broadway. The vehicle brought David Hyde Pierce a Tony Award and, today, a fresh cast of teen contenders. Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance’s Teen Theatre group soars with talent, all smartly coached and brought to life under the direction of Jacqueline Lucid.
by David Stone
Photography: Irina Hage/Irina Island Images
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
Only Three More Curtains To Go
Only three more performances remain for Curtains remain. They are today at 2:00 and 8:00 p.m. and Sunday at 6:00 p.m. Don’t miss this! Tickets are available here. The Howe Theatre is at 248 Main Street, Roosevelt Island.
During its Broadway run, Curtains was nominated for eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical. The original production starred David Hyde Pierce, who won the Tony Award for Best Leading Actor in a Musical.
The musical is set in 1959 Boston, behind the scenes of a fictional musical called Robbin’ Hood! The show’s book is by Rupert Holmes, music by John Kander, and lyrics by Fred Ebb.
The original Broadway production opened on March 2, 2007, at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre and closed on June 29, 2008, after 28 previews and 486 performances. The show was directed by Scott Ellis with choreography by Rob Ashford.
Set against the backdrop of a Boston theater in 1959, Curtains is the backstage murder mystery musical comedy that Critics hailed as “a ton of fun!” (The New York Times), “smart and sassy!” (Associated Press) and “a must-see event!” (AM New York).
The current production in the Howe Theatre in the Roosevelt Island Community Center features a fresh cast of young performers, all smartly coached and brought to fruition by Jacqueline Lucid.
Curtains is playing at the Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance from now until Sunday. Get your tickets today!
Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance
While still dynamic, creative and versitile, Roosevelt Island’s Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance is now an institution on the verge of breaking out into wider audiences.
Six years ago, Kristi Towey took the reins at MSTDA and has nurtured growth and new audiences. Around that time, the dynamic team of Jonathon and Kimbirdlee Fadner’s inventive Common Man Musicals began launching original productions, using local performers and students.
One, The Monkey King, went on to national stages and was aiming for Broadway before the pandemic shut things down.
Today, both Fadners have joined an already powerful Main Street Theatre & Dance Alliance team led by Towey, helping bring renewed vigor out of the coronavirus shutdown.
Also from The roosevelt island daily news
- Why RIOC’s New Constituent Services Department Is Total Bull-oneyNext up in its Hall of Cringe-Worthy Moments, RIOC’s screaming headline declares, “PRESIDENT HAYNES ANNOUNCES NEW CONSTITUENT SERVICES DEPARTMENT WITHIN RIOC.” It scores a triple crown of hypocritical, condescending and stupid. How can this highly
- Will Roosevelt Island Day Be Diminished Again This Year?Roosevelt Island Day shrunk after 2019, partly because of excessive COVID-19 concerns, but what happens in 2023? President/CEO Shelton J. Haynes’s organizers can regain some lost community support, returning some enthusiasm for 2023. But the
- From Jazz to Hip-Hop: How Harlem Transformed into a Groovy Hub of Music in New York CityThe culturally rich neighborhood of Harlem in New York City has been an epicenter for music since the early 20th century. From the birth of jazz to hip-hop, Harlem has served as a breeding ground
- Broadway Unmasked: Behind the Theatre District’s Meteoric RiseBroadway is an iconic part of American culture, a place where dreams come true and stories are brought to life. From its humble beginnings as a small collection of theaters in the late 19th century,
- Lunatic Fringe – Is Shelton Haynes Job-Hunting on Your Dime?Reporting that “He’s at it again” isn’t enough as what looks for all the world like RIOC President/CEO Shelton J. Haynes job-hunting secures a spot cleanly on the lunatic fringe. In a new paid public
[…] Curtains, Broadway Musical Blockbuster at MSTDA Now […]