Local businesses got booted aside by RIOC yesterday as the state agency that collects rents from but never promotes them gave a shout out for Cousins Maine Lobster Truck. It was another blow against the community that pays all the salaries, benefits and work of RIOC.
by David Stone
Roosevelt Island’s local businesses never get this…
In a RIOC Advisory, the state agency that never gets it wrong said:
“This Sunday, April 24th, enjoy what should be a beautiful day by strolling along the promenades and grabbing a bite to eat from the Cousins Maine Lobster food truck, which located at Tram Plaza (300 Main St.) from 12 PM – 8 PM!” (Somebody loan RIOC a “will be.”)
Nobody has any complaint with the Cousins Maine Lobster Truck pulling up with delicious food, but using our RIOC Tax money in promoting an out of town business is thickheaded. It’s also abusive toward the numerous local businesses from which RIOC collects monthly rents.
It’s no secret that several local businesses, stung by the pandemic, are hanging by a thread. But RIOC wants you to bypass Nisi, China One, Fuji East and Granny Annie’s on your way to the lobster truck.
It’s not a big change of form for RIOC since they’re notorious for disregarding residents too, but it’s still unacceptable.
Cousins Maine Lobster is a franchising operation headquartered in Los Angeles. The franchise serving Roosevelt Island hails from New Jersey.
An email to RIOC’s brain trust questioning this promotion did not generate any response.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Why Is RIOC Suddenly Doing the Right Thing? Sometimes… But Why?Doing the right thing is not a sure thing with RIOC. More than a few WTF moments have sparkled through Roosevelt Island during the Haynes regime. And as a rule, they neither admit nor fix
- Hello, Queens? Districting Commission Chucks Roosevelt Island ChaosIt’s back to “Hello, Queens,” for Roosevelt Island as the City Council Districting Commission imploded yesterday. Freshly drawn maps were rejected, putting initial maps shoving the community into Queens back in play. But local advocates
- The Unbearable Light Headedness of Being RIOC: Board Meeting EditionWe already know that being RIOC means never having to say you’re sorry. After all, why would you when you never get it wrong? But it also means scrambling messaging and information until goofy lightheadedness
- Are the Feds Deflecting UN Dangers Roosevelt Island’s Way?UN dangers were on Roosevelt Islander Raye Schwartz’s mind when she emailed City Council Member Julie Menin as the General Assembly opened. The answer she got made her furious. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island
- Unwind For Roosevelt Island, a Big Win Now In Districting DisarrayAfter forceful lobbying by local activists, a big win moved Roosevelt Island closer to sensible Common Council representation. Initial redistricting maps pushed the community, along with significant chunks of the Upper East Side, into a