This week at the CBN/RI Senior Center, on Thursday, Mount Sinai wants to talk with you about light therapy to help you sleep. And Weill Cornell Medicine seeks you thoughts on they can better serve the community.
Light therapy, also known as phototherapy, is a type of treatment that uses light to improve the symptoms of a variety of conditions. The idea behind light therapy is that exposure to light can help to regulate the body’s natural sleep-wake cycle, boost mood, and increase energy levels.
Light therapy is often used to treat seasonal affective disorder (SAD), a type of depression that occurs in the winter months when there is less natural sunlight. Exposure to light can also be helpful for people who experience jet lag or who work night shifts.
Light therapy is typically administered using a Lightbox, which emits bright light that is similar to natural sunlight. To get the most benefit from light therapy, it is important to use the Lightbox for the recommended amount of time each day. Light therapy is generally considered safe.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Love Your Clothes Again: Eileen Fisher RenewDo you have a closet full of clothes you love but don’t wear anymore? Eileen Fisher Renew is here to help. We take your gently-worn Eileen Fisher clothes and give them new life. Not only
- Happy Shelton J. Haynes Cheapskate Holiday Now from RIOCWas a cheapskate holiday for Roosevelt Island exactly what RIOC President/CEO had in mind when RIOC’s contractor spread a much-reduced collection of decorations in early November? Downplaying local traditions is a hallmark of his administration.
- Governor Kathy Hochul Has A Message for Roosevelt Islanders: Get Lost!“Get lost!” The message from Albany shot loud and clear down the Hudson, landing on our little Island. Hochul vetoed a bill constructed by Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano, coordinating with Roosevelt
- We’ve Got the Money. Why Not End the Homeless Crisis Now?The homeless crisis is not only costly for individuals, but also for society as a whole. A study by the National Alliance to End Homelessness found that the cost of homelessness to taxpayers is approximately
- 5 Ways Weather Conditions Affect Your Physical HealthWeather conditions can have a significant impact on asthma and other respiratory problems. Cold weather, for example, can cause the airways to constrict, making it difficult to breathe. High humidity can also lead to increased