Although cherry blossoms first bloom on Roosevelt Island in March, the most consuming wave of pink buds is an April affair. The swell of breathtaking beauty starts now and continues through the month.
by David Stone
Cherry Blossoms First Wave
Designed more from chance than intention, Roosevelt Island’s long cherry blossom season began in mid-March but now is only reaching its prime. That includes a welcoming group outside the subway station and continues with a brilliant array on the West Promenade south of the Queensboro Bridge.
At the end of the month, the oldest copse of trees blossoms along the East River, aligned with Cornell Tech, also on the West Promenade.
Although the weather is not forecast as the best today, that should not prevent the seasonal flock of visitors discovering and rediscovering Roosevelt Island. And tomorrow should be sunnier.
Expect crowded Tram cabins and busy F Trains, both of which plan normal operations, all weekend.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Now They’re Coming for Your Beer and My WineThere’s no mistaking the trend, driven by poor science. Federal government resources are coming for your beer and my wine. The CDC says every little swallow adds risk to your life and health, but looked … Read more
- New Art: Woman with a Parasol in Central ParkTimes change, and we are taking a fresh approach and looking at the world through art. In 1875, Claude Monet painted his early masterpiece, Woman with a Parasol – Madame Monet and Her Son. It’s … Read more
- Free This Week-Register for “Theater of War” at Four FreedomsA cast of stars reads from the Theater of War, from Sophocles’s Ajax, about “…the visible and invisible wounds of war.” The performance is followed by community panelist remarks and a facilitated audience discussion. The … Read more
- Adams Campaign Repeatedly Ignored Regulators’ Demands to Identify Supporters Behind $300,000 in ContributionsThe Campaign Finance Board flagged 600 donations suspected of having been gathered by undisclosed bundlers in potential violation of campaign finance rules. Several of the contributions figure in a recent indictment by the Manhattan DA. … Read more
- Can Narcissists Change? What the Research Says NowNarcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD) is challenging, not just for the individual who has it, but also for those of us around them. It’s frustrating, and you find yourself wondering: Can a narcissist change? Let’s explore … Read more