Shih Tzu’s silky coat has been described as “fluffy cotton candy” or “woolen mittens.” It comes into the world three colors: black, white, and tan. The breed’s small size also makes the Shih Tzu easy to handle when walking or grooming.
While small size might seem like a drawback at first glance, it’s an advantage because the dog will not grow too large and can live in smaller homes with less yard space than other breeds of dogs require. It may be tempting to think that this is all the Shih Tzu needs as far as exercise goes, but it does require regular walks to stay healthy and fit.
by David Stone
Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
A Royal Companion
Ad: The Complete Guide to Shih Tzu Dogs
The Shih Tzu is one of the world’s most popular purebred dogs.
According to the American Kennel Club, they ranked as the 14th most popular breed in America. The Shih Tzu has a very old and interesting history that blends both fact and legend.
The Shih Tzu is a sturdy, squarely built, well-balanced dog. He has a short muzzle and retains many of the characteristics of his Asian ancestors, the Chow Chow, Tibet Spaniel and Lhasa Apso. Correct head and expression with large round eyes dark in color; scissors bite preferred but level bite acceptable; broad flat skull with a slight peak at the back is essential to breed type.
Shih Tzu’s have a long, double coat that is profuse around the neck and shoulders giving them a lion-like mane appearance. The face is well covered with long hair that falls over the eyes which should not be trimmed. Hair on ears may be thin or sparse.
Suggested: Royal Canin Shih Tzu Specific Dry Dog Food
One of the dog’s best qualities is its beautiful long coat. The beautiful flowing coat does not require much grooming effort on the owner’s part. The vast majority of owners will be able to keep their Shih Tzu in show condition by brushing and combing the coat once or twice a week.
The breed is known for its beautiful eyes, which can come in any color except blue. The ears should ideally stand up on their own without support from the owner. The size of the ears should be proportionate to the overall size of the dog.
The sturdy body is compact and medium-sized that is covered in a long luxurious coat that comes in a variety of colors. They have a flat face with a short muzzle, which gives them an intelligent expression. The tail is carried over the back.
This lovable breed is great for kids and other small pets.
They are great with kids and other pets and love attention and love to be around people.
A Shih Tzu’s coat requires regular grooming, including daily brushing during the spring and summer. Daily combing during the shedding season is also required for preventing matting of the coat. The majority of the time it takes for this breed of dog to learn comes from watching you. They are very intelligent dogs and pick up on things quickly, but they need patience when training them because the Shih Tzu will test your limits with their stubbornness.
They’re fearless, playful, curious, intelligent, active and eager to please.
Shih Tzu’s are extremely friendly and affectionate to anyone they meet. They’re best for older children who can handle the dog’s energy level.
The Shih Tzu is a happy, lively little dog that gets along well with other animals and strangers alike. They love just to sit on your lap and be petted and loved on.
Help Support Independent Journalism.
The Shih Tzu is a dog that was bred for companionship and is perfect for families. The three main features of the Shih Tzu are its silky coat, small size, and the need to be walked regularly. If you’re looking for a family pet who can keep up with your busy lifestyle but still give lots of love and affection, this may be the right breed for you.
Also from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit —
- How to Safely Deal With Wild Animals in NYCSo, there’s a bat in your apartment. Or a racoon on your fire escape. Or a dolphin on the beach. Who’re you going to call? By Katie Honan Nov 27 5:00am EST There are more
- 5 Unique Ways That People Use Robots Every DayAlthough they once seemed like visions of the future, today, robots contribute to our daily lives. Discover five unique ways that people use robots every day.
- How To Prepare a Clean and Safe Salon EnvironmentIf you want to keep your salon patrons coming back for more, follow these tips for creating a clean and safe environment. A healthy salon is a happy salon!
- Why Roosevelt Islanders need direct voting for the RIOC BoardI moved to Roosevelt Island in 2020 at the height of the pandemic. I was already fairly familiar with Roosevelt Island but I was most struck by two things in my first few months here: