This article is about plants that are poisonous for cats. Cats should not eat these flowers because they can cause vomiting and other health problems, even death; so, it’s important to be aware of what your cat may or may not eat!
By David Stone
for Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
Examples: Plants That Are Poisonous for Cats
Suggestion: SHEBA PERFECT PORTIONS WET CAT FOOD
We’ll post a fuller list below, but the first plant we look at, as an example, is the Aloe Vera Plant. People safely use Aloe Vera, but it can cause kidney failure in cats. Then there’s the Rhododendron (Azalea) Plant, which also causes kidney failure,upset stomach and mouth ulcers.
There are, also, many types of lilies but all lead to kidney failure when eaten by a cat; even though there isn’t much known about how toxic Dumb Cane is to other animals, we still mention it because it can cause severe oral irritation and difficulty swallowing if eaten by a cat.
The final plant we’ll mention specifically is the Sago Palm, which is extremely poisonous for cats! These plants are highly toxic and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, seizures, liver failure and death.
As you can see there are many plants that cats should not eat because they could lead to illness or even death. But you must stay alert to what your curious cat may eat, especially if you have houseplants because they could accidentally ingest chemicals from the plants which can hurt their health.
Suggestion for Cats that Love to Chew
Not only do cats run the risk of eating plants that are poisonous for them, but they also tend to chew on houseplants which leads to chemicals like fertilizers and pesticides being ingested. These can easily lead to hard-to-diagnose illnesses.
The final piece of advice we want to leave you with is – always watch out for your animal companion, no matter if it’s a cat, dog or other animal. It may be helpful to keep plants that are poisonous for cats out of the house because you never know when your feline friend might want to snack!
Here are some of the best known plants that may be poisonous to cats:
• Aloe Vera– This plant is used for humans, but it can cause kidney failure in cats.
• Azaleas– Eating this plant will cause vomiting, diarrhea and fever.
• Calla Lily– If eaten, this plant can cause seizures or even death.
• Christmas Rose– Eating this plant will lead to stomach irritation and vomiting.
• Daffodils– These flowers may be attractive to your cat, but eating them will lead to an upset stomach and mouth ulcers.
• Dahlias– These flowers can cause vomiting or diarrhea in cats.
• Dieffenbachia (Dumb Cane)– If eaten, this plant will cause severe oral irritation and difficulty swallowing. Not much is known about its toxicity to other animals.
• Hibiscus– Cats should not eat these flowers because they can cause vomiting.
• Lilies– There are many different types of lily, but they can cause kidney failure in cats.
• Rhododendron (Azalea)– Eating these flowers will lead to an upset stomach and mouth ulcers.
• Sago Palm– These plants are extremely poisonous to cats.
• Tulips– If eaten, this plant can cause vomiting.
It’s better not to give your cat any of these plants. (Even if you don’t have a cat, it doesn’t hurt to share this article with people you know that have cats! 🙂
We hope that this blog post has helped you learn about the different plants that are poisonous for cats. Cats should not eat any of these flowers because they can lead to vomiting, diarrhea and worse health problems. It’s important to know which houseplants may be toxic so your cat doesn’t decide it wants to chew on them while you’re away at work!
One last piece of advice is always watch out for your animal companion – no matter if it’s a cat, dog or another type of pet, make sure they don’t get into anything dangerous like plant poisonings!
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
- Adams faces campaign finance violations(The Center Square) — New York City Mayor Eric Adams is facing tens of thousands of dollars in fines for alleged violations of state campaign finance laws involving his 2022 inaugural fund. The New York City’s Campaign
- Freedom Lover Ron DeSantisdavidstone1313 See author's posts