COVID infection rates fall in New York City, now back to where we were in early July. But Roosevelt Island fails to come along as rates rise past 2%.
By David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
COVID Infection Rates, New York City vs Roosevelt Island
While Department of Health statistics show the city COVID infection rates continuing a tumble to 2.19%, the Roosevelt Island community rises over the 2% threshold. It hasn’t been there for months.
Multiple factors contribute in bringing the Island to 2.01% and steadily rising, but one cause is clear. Roosevelt Island lags behind most nearby community in vaccinations.
The nearest Queens communities, Astoria South, Long Island City and Sunnyside, range from 81 to 99 percent at least partially vaccinated. But Roosevelt Island’s been stalled in the mid 70s for over a month. And lower Queens infection rates, from 1.02 to 1.61 percent, reflect that.
Another likely factor is the failure of local authorities to contribute resources or even encouragement. RIOC’s once robust response to COVID trickled down to almost nothing after the current administration moved in. Getting enforcement of mask mandates on Red Buses and the Tram took weeks of public shaming through shared photographs.
And elected officials who once spurred awareness with mask giveaways folded after primary election season.
As with so much else on Roosevelt Island, where political leadership is hard to find, lowering COVID infection rates rests in the hands of residents. A DIY initiative at helping each other with healthy practices remains our best option.
So, protect your neighbors by getting vaccinated. Free options abound, including at Duane Reade next to the subway, and Health and Hospitals announced free boosters for those eligible, available now.
Wear face masks while using indoor public spaces and when using public transit. If you’re comfortable with it, a gentle reminder to others not as conscientious helps.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school,
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department
[…] a hopeless optimist believes this is any exception as Roosevelt Island bucks the city trend, with infections rising while the rest of New York gets […]
[…] COVID Infection Rates Fall in New York, But Roosevelt Island Goes the Other Way […]