RIOC’s vaunted Communications Team forgot to tell you; so, we will. Amanda Matthews’s The Girl Puzzle has its opening date.
By David Stone
Opening the Nellie Bly Monument: The Girl Puzzle
Why should they tell you when their primary goal is keeping their passive board passive and showing off their alleged achievements for Albany overseers?
Wrapping up an extended board meeting, last week, Haynes pushed the above image through in PowerPoint. Seven days later, his alleged Communications Team still hasn’t shared the news with residents.
You can pick up a lot more about The Girl Monument, its creator and its story in a Philadelphia Tribune article. The current rendition of RIOC does not appear in the article, but the endlessly quotable historian Judith Berdy does.
“This is Roosevelt Island. Nobody does anything without an audience around here,” she says.
In the telling, reporter Shannon Eblen gets it right, sharing a story present day RIOC refuses acknowledging. Among other things, she credits unfairly deposed RIOC president Susan Rosenthal with the idea and the execution.
And she quotes former assistant vice president Jonna Carmona-Graf, who was also “removed” during RIOC’s coup month of June, 2020.
“It took my breath away,” Carmona-Graf said. “I’m really proud of this one. It’s just really going to be a unique public space for all of New Yorkers and the world to enjoy.”
It’s possible RIOC’s acclaimed (by them) Communications Team will someday share what its board and Albany overseers already know. Maybe they’ll share a time, and one thing for sure, they’ll shine a light on elected officials, although not on Rosenthal or Carmona-Graf.
Outgoing city council member Ben Kallos directed $70,000 in city funds to the Nellie Bly Monument, working closely with Rosenthal. Let’s hope he turns the spotlight on the contributors without whom The Girl Puzzle would never have found a home on Roosevelt Island.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Stymied on OMNY for the Tram, Will RIOC Dip Deep into the Past?Stymied on OMNY, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation (RIOC) may have a solution. Cowed by bullying MTA brass, RIOC’s deep thinkers are rumored to be dipping into transit history for alternatives. As the story goes,
- Severe Sleep Apnea Diagnosis Panics Reporter Until He Finds a Simple, No-Cost SolutionThe lab technician who watched me all night via video feed told me that I had “wicked sleep apnea” and that it was “central sleep apnea…” Jay Hancock, Kaiser Health NewsOctober 3, 2022 Republished with
- RIOC Promotes Mary Cunneen, Staffer with a “History.”Mary Cunneen, then Director of Parks and Recreation at RIOC, got my attention in 2018 when I ran into two women crying on Main Street. Cunneen, they said, was trying to shut down the Southpoint
- Most Americans believe #MeToo has changed the climate around workplace sexual misconductOriginally published by The 19th Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News Almost five years since the #MeToo went viral, new data from the Pew Research Center finds that most Americans believe that the
- When the Dog Ate Their Homework, RIOC’s Credibility Took A HitRIOC’s credibility took a hit on Saturday. No, the dog did not eat their homework, but it was damn close. Their “AVAC plant was struck by lightning,” they said. Show jaw drops here. The trouble