Notoriously hostile to genuine community engagement, RIOC denied Roosevelt Islanders any role in its 9/11 Tribute. But a determined Residents Association president Rossana Ceruzzi refused to be shunted aside.
Ceruzzi placed flags around the 9/11 Memorial Tree, unassisted by RIOC.
Neither she nor any other resident was invited to participate in the official ceremony.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Stiff Prices, Unfulfilled Orders: How the Private Contractor Running Rikers Commissary Serves DetaineesBianca Pallaro and Reuven Blau, The City This article was originally published on Jun 9 5:00am EDT by THE CITY In April 2022, the New York City Department of Correction signed a no-bid contract with a company called the Keefe Group to take over the commissary operations at Rikers Island, and offer a new web-based
- Haynes at it again. Someone please offer this man a new jobIt looks like a long campaign for a new job. Why else would anyone push this nonsense? “Given a problematic task nearly 50 years ago, the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation established and slowly grew a small-town community in the middle of New York City – until Shelton Haynes took over as CEO.” Echoes of “Only
- Staying Inside Won’t Protect You from Smoke Unless the Air is CleanSamantha Maldonado, The City This article was originally published on Jun 8 8:38pm EDT by THE CITY As New York City’s air quality remained unhealthy due to Canadian wildfires, Mayor Eric Adams encouraged New Yorkers to avoid going outside to protect themselves from the pollution. The city made it easier for some New Yorkers to
- Gap Show – RIVAA’s New Idea Surprises Next Week at the GalleryWhat is a gap show? We’re about to find out on Wednesday June 14th, when RIVAA‘s artists surprise visitors with a themed show. With ten days to run, they will fill the walls with inspiration while sculpted objects surprise from the floor. But, here’s the fun part: the theme is so loose, art lovers can
- The Tug-of-War for New York City’s Streets: Iconic Avenues with Unbelievable HistoriesHey there, fellow street wanderers! Ever wondered how the bustling, iconic avenues of New York City came to be? We’re about to take a fast ride through the histories of NYC’s most famous streets. From fun facts to intriguing stories, you’ll never see the Big Apple the same way again. So, ready to dive in