Two weeks ago, we reported on RIOC’s stunning refusal of following the law or using just plain common sense. Being RIOC involved forcing pedestrians, strollers and wheelchairs to walk in the street. Guess what? They’re doing it again, and this time, it’s worse.
By David Stone
Being RIOC means never having to say, “Do the right thing.”
Construction fence does not leave 5 feet for pedestrians
When an encroaching construction fence does not leave 5 feet of clear sidewalk passage for pedestrians, the DOT requires a temporary pedestrian walkway in the road. This walkway must be 5 feet in width, clearly marked and accessible. A temporary pedestrian walkway in the road must be as safe as the pre-construction condition. An Occupancy of Sidewalk Permit is also required when 5 feet of clear walkway is not available.Decoder: Walk This Way
We are committed to protecting and serving the community by providing a safe and secure environment and enforcing local, state, and federal laws.RIOC Annual Report
All a fella can say is, “Really?”
Roosevelt Islanders chuck in $4 million a year for Public Safety, and here’s the best they can do.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t