Places New York says they can park on Roosevelt island, but you can’t, tell you how very special state workers are. And you are not. Here’s a few we saw today, plus a contribution from the Space Cadet.
By David Stone
The Space Cadet spurred our interest in New York State’s elitist claims on free parking. For some reason, the subject pisses him off, and we can’t disagree.
Here’s what the Space Cadet saw yesterday.
The Space Cadet riled again, seeing a PSD vehicle taking yet another parking spot, this time one reserved in the New York State Shelton J. Haynes Parking Area.
“Yes, including an empty Public Safety vehicle parked in Emperor Shelton’s Parking Place for over an hour! While tax paying residents scurry for a spot…”
Haynes came to work because of a mandatory appearance at the Graduate Hotel ribbon cutting. His gas guzzler sits behind a Lexus the Space Cadet says belongs to the Queen of Mean.
Lesson to learn from legendary RIOC president/CEO Leslie Torres
Also not well-known for her work ethic, Torres was said to have ordered RIOC employees to turn her office lights on, even when she wasn’t at work. That disguised her frequent absences.
And today, while every legal parking spot in sight was filled…
More places New York says they can park, but you can’t…
Here’s a fun one. Cars squeezed in between rows of portable toilets where workers from the East Side Access Project discard litter and leave piles of trash for the local rodents.
Can you top an overflow area for when the MTA’s illegal parking lot is full? Don’t try this if you’re within walking distance of your home, that is, if you live here.
Privilege extended to Friends of RIOC and the MTA. At least there’s one thing on which they successfully coordinate: Free parking for New York State of Cuomo elites.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Will the Roosevelt Island Tram tumble out of New York City Transit?Don’t tell the Roosevelt Island Tram operators, but the MetroCard will be gone in a little over a year. That’s according to TimeOut New York. But what does that mean for Roosevelt Island? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The Roosevelt Island Daily thanks Sylvan Klein for the heads up. The Roosevelt Island
- RIHS Returns The Elevator Storehouse Plaque Home On Roosevelt IslandEfforts by the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) paid off yesterday when an original plaque from the Elevator Storehouse came home. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The plaque, identifying a building providing elevator service to Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge, arrived by car. Historical Society leader Judith Berdy arranged it. She
- A Gunboat in the East River Off Roosevelt IslandA gunboat in the East River, this morning, a blast from an painful past, a reminder of the sad way we were. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Twenty years ago, after the World Trade Center disaster, gunboats in the East River were a daily fixture. Walking from Manhattan Park to the subway,
- It’s Constitution Week. Lynne Shinozaki and NYPL Welcome You to Learning More“We met at the Roosevelt Island Library last Friday to promote awareness of Constitution Week,” Shinozaki says. “It’s a National Celebration to bring renewed awareness to the awesome document that our Country is based on.” The Roosevelt Island Daily News “Please stop by our Roosevelt Island Public Library, 504 Main Street, and learn more about
- KICK SOME ASS, ROOSEVELT ISLAND. MAKE THE BASTARDS LISTENMake the bastards listen, Roosevelt Island. Kick a little ass now because it’s the only path you have for running your own community. davidstone1313 See author's posts