Says the Space Cadet: “…and the Sheldon J. Haynes Parking Area remains empty while righteous residents drive around looking for spaces.”
“Please be advised, as New York City prepares for the remnants of tropical storm Ida, which has been downgraded to a depression, RIOC will be monitoring its progress and providing the community with any pertinent updates regarding transportation services and facility closures on the island.”
That’s the breathless run-on sentence RIOC pitched on Tuesday afternoon, but follow through was weak and incomplete. Tasks are immeasurably hard to complete when nobody’s around to do them.
It served as a reminder of the summer afternoon when Haynes’s predecessor, Leslie Torres, hightailed it for a vacation as a hurricane bore down on Roosevelt Island.
Anyway, the only update from RIOC thereafter was a note, late in the evening after hours of heavy rain and powerful winds, that the F Train was shut down. But even that was not followed up by any notice that it returned to service before 5:00 a.m.
So, Islanders on either side of the East River were left to assume that the Tram continued operating as 60 mile per hour winds raked the city and lightning bolts cut jagged lines under the clouds… And that MTA buses were on schedule.
They were not.
And completing the portrait of negligence, RIOC never relayed Mayor Bill de Blasio’s citywide State of Emergency declaration restricting vehicle travel to emergencies only.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t