There was a sorry moment when my one-time hero, Wayne Dyer, landed where he’d do just about anything that Reid Tracy, the CEO at Hay House, asked. Gratitude’s one thing, but this was ridiculous. Wayne Dyer mixed up Esther Hicks…?
By David Stone
Special to The Roosevelt Island Daily News
The late Wayne Dyer, an inspiring writer and teacher, at Tracy’s request, might have competed in hot dog eating contests or performed at the rodeo. I actually bought at least one awful book at Dr. Dyer’s suggestion.
Then, it got worse. He climbed up on stage and started mouthing platitudes. He pitched for Esther Hicks, Hay House’s other money-making giant. Now fading, her channeled entity, Abraham, is no longer up to writing books.
Hence, the pseudo-book that results from this conversation and sells for Hay House.
Wayne Dyer and Esther Hicks Show Up for Hay House
It wasn’t that bad, I guess, when Dyer put his stamp of approval on the weird claims of Gary Renard in The Disappearance of the Universe, but it was a defining moment in his credibility.
Renard, for the unenlightened, wrote a book about two of Jesus’s disciples. He says they wake him up from naps and share life’s mysteries.
Strangely, these mysteries have been the public fodder of biblical scholars for decades. Since all were well-known, why did the messiah’s disciples need to come back and tell Renard about them?
No problem for Wayne Dyer. Buy this book, he said in an email blast organized by Hay House. I did, and I never trusted him the same way again.
Like a faithful pony in the Hay House corral, Dyer exploited his regular platform on PBS to promote, as factual, the sensational claims of Gregg Braden and Dr. Bruce Lipton. So much for PBS’s credibility too. Don’t they have a fact-checker?
Thank you, Hay House, for taking a good man down
But few things were as bizarre and obsequious as his pairing up with Esther Hicks.
Two years after Jerry Hicks died and Esther, for reasons you can guess for yourself, failed to complete the pair’s Hay House book contract, Dyer showed up on stage with Esther/Abraham at one of Hay House’s sponsored new age forums.
Co-creating at Its Best is the result. Sold previously as a DVD of the “conversation between master teachers,” it’s now a book, too.
The book, printed with a huge typeface filling it out, padded with fluff helping its repetitious content seem worthy of an $11.99 list price, was unsuccessful. It was offered at a huge discount during its first peak Christmas buying season.
The DVD of this session, all 2 hours and 45 minutes of it, listed at $19.99. It sells now, new, at less than half that.
In spite of heavy review stuffing on Amazon that both Hay House and Abraham-Hicks have been accused of, it seems a good bit of the world wised up.
I previously wrote about Dyer’s half-good/half-dreadful spiritual autobiography, I Can See Clearly Now, and although it was depressing to see this wise man lose touch in a wash of spiritual mishmash, it’s worse seeing him falling all the way to the level of Abraham-Hicks.
Thank you, Hay House, for taking a good man down.
more from assorted ideas, large & small
- The Seeker’s Guide to the Abraham Hicks Universe: Which Books to Read First?Ah, seekers of wisdom and cosmic giggles, you’ve come to the right place. Welcome to the mystical world of Abraham Hicks, where the Law of Attraction reigns supreme, and reality is as bendy as a
- Abraham Hicks and the Law of Attraction Now: A Hard LookIn the realm of self-help and personal development, few names are as widely recognized as Abraham Hicks. Centered around spirit channeling and the Law of Attraction, the teachings amassed a significant following. But a healthy
- Who Is Abraham Hicks Now? A Skeptical Look at the Woman Behind the Law of AttractionAbraham Hicks has become one of the most widely known advocates of the Law of Attraction, a spiritual philosophy that suggests that people can manifest their desires through positive thinking and visualization. Many people claim
- Abraham Hicks for Beginners: Uncover the TruthHave you heard of Abraham Hicks? They’ve gained quite a following in recent years, with books, seminars, and podcasts promoting their teachings. But is Abraham Hicks for beginners worth your time? For those unfamiliar, Abraham
- Esther Hicks and the Law of Attraction: True or False?A lot of people have been talking about Esther Hicks and the Law of Attraction lately. But what is the real story? Is she a fraud, or is she onto something? Let’s take a closer