The Statue of Liberty is one of the most iconic symbols of America but did you know that it was originally going to be a Muslim woman? The design of the statue was inspired by a Muslim woman but the final product ended up being a Christian woman.
by David Stone
Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
Why was the original Statue of Liberty modeled on a Muslim woman?
The original design of the Statue of Liberty was inspired by a Muslim woman named Fatima al-Fihri.
When the French sculptor, Frederic Bartholdi, was designing the Statue of Liberty, he is said to have been inspired by Fatima al-Fihri. However, the final statue ended up being a Christian woman because Bartholdi felt that it would be more acceptable to the American people.
Who was Fatima al-Fihri?
Fatima al-Fihri was a Muslim woman who was born in Morocco in the 9th century. She was one of the most educated women of her time and she founded a university in Fez, Morocco which is still one of the leading universities in the world today.
What is the Statue of Liberty?
The Statue of Liberty is one of the most iconic symbols of America. The statue is located on Liberty Island in New York Harbor and it was gifted to the United States by the people of France in 1886.
The Statue of Liberty is a symbol of freedom and democracy, and it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in the United States.
Why was the Statue of Liberty built in the first place?
The Statue of Liberty was built to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The French people wanted to give the United States a gift that would symbolize the friendship between the two countries.
Who finally was the model for the statue?
The model for the Statue of Liberty was a generic Christian woman because Bartholdi felt that it would be more acceptable to the American people.
Why did Bartholdi think a Muslim woman would be unacceptable?
There is no clear answer, but it is speculated that Bartholdi thought that a Muslim woman would be seen as too foreign or exotic for the American people to accept.
In any case, the final statue ended up being a Christian woman and has become one of the most iconic symbols of America.
What did the Statue of Liberty cost?
The Statue of Liberty cost the French people about $250,000 to build. The United States government paid for the pedestal on which the statue is located, and it cost them about $250,000 as well. In total, the Statue of Liberty cost about $500,000 to build.
How long did it take to build and install the Statue of Liberty?
It took about nine years to build the Statue of Liberty. The statue was shipped to the United States in 1885 and it was installed on the pedestal in 1886. The total cost of the project was about $500,000. It’s now worth less than half that as scrap metal.Audible Gift Memberships
When was the last time the torch was lit?
The torch was last lit in 1986 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Statue of Liberty. The torch has not been open for tours since it was destabilized by the Black Tom explosion in 2016. You can still climb up to the crown, though.
How tall is the statue?
The Statue of Liberty is 305 feet tall from the base to the torch. The pedestal on which the statue is located is about 154 feet tall, which means that the total height of the Statue of Liberty is about 459 feet.
What is its weight?
The weight of the Statue of Liberty is about 225 tons or 450,000 pounds.
What is the name of the island on which the Statue of Liberty is located?
The Statue of Liberty is located on Liberty Island in New York Harbor. The island was formerly known as Bedloe’s Island but was renamed Liberty Island in 1956.
Are there other statues in America sculpted by Bartholdi?
Yes, there are several other statues in America sculpted by Bartholdi. These include the Bartholdi Fountain in the Botanic Garden in Washington, D.C. and the Lafayette Monument in New York City.
What is the name of the poem inscribed on the Statue of Liberty?
The poem inscribed on the Statue of Liberty is “The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus. The poem is about the statue itself and its symbolism.
More from Assorted Ideas, Large & Small
- Interesting Fact #9 – The First Product Sold Online Was a Sting albumThe first product ever sold online was a Sting album. On August 11, 1994, the album was sold on Netscape’s website for $12.48. This was significant because it marked the beginning of eCommerce and showed
- REFORM THE SUPREME COURT OR LOSE YOUR RIGHTSUnelected judges shouldn’t have the power to take away rights most Americans support. Regardless of anyone’s views on abortion, the Supreme Court’s decision in Dobbs v. Jackson took away a reproductive right that a half-century of hard-fought
- WE HAVE A SMOKING GUN — INDICT TRUMP NOWIf Trump gets a “get out of jail free” card after trying to join armed rioters at the Capitol, the dangers are incalculable. By Mitchell Zimmerman | June 29, 2022 Mitchell Zimmerman’s June 22, 2022 column explored a
- Interesting Fact #8 – The average human brain weighs about 3 poundsThe average human brain weighs about 3 pounds or 1,300 grams. This is about 2% of the total body weight. The brain is made up of water, fat, and protein. It also contains minerals, such
- What Rights Will The Supreme Court Roll Back After Roe?The Supreme Court’s conservative majority has overturned Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 decision that guaranteed the right to an abortion, in a 6-3 decision. The court also overturned Planned Parenthood v. Casey, a 1992