With New York State redistricting finally done for 2022, one of the biggest changes for Roosevelt Island will be in the State Senate. In 2012, Republicans gerrymandered a ridiculous district that sent José Serrano dipping south from his true district in the Bronx. Give Serrano credit. He devoted plenty of attention our way. But Liz Krueger’s a more natural fit, and she’s been here before.
by David Stone
So, who is Liz Krueger, after all?
For starters, she’s a three-term incumbent representing much of Manhattan and, starting in 2023, Roosevelt Island in the State Senate. She’s a Democrat, of course, which is good for us since the state legislature is solidly in Democratic hands.
But more important than party affiliation is her seniority. Liz Krueger currently chairs the powerful Senate Finance Committee. In the State Senate, that’s as good as it gets.
- Partisan Gerrymandering Is Over, But Who’s In for Roosevelt Island?
- New York Lawmakers Want To Give Themselves a Huge Raise
So, what does the Finance Committee do? Well, its members handle the state budget. They wield a lot of power over how much money will be spent on what. That’s huge for a small community like Roosevelt Island that often feels neglected by Albany.
Having a powerful friend in the state legislature can make a big difference.
Liz Krueger is also a member of the Budget and Revenue and Rules Committees.
But it’s not all about committees and seniority. Liz Krueger is also a strong supporter of progressive causes. She’s a champion of reproductive rights, for example. She’s also a leading voice in the fight to end mass incarceration.
So, there you have it. Liz Krueger is our next State Senator. That’s good news for Roosevelt Island. We need a powerful advocate in Albany, and that’s exactly what we’re getting.
Pending November’s election, it looks possible that every elected official for Roosevelt Island, from Governor Hochul on down, will be female, except for Mayor Eric Adams, who has limited influence locally. And Congresswoman Carolyn Maloney who is in a reelection fight against two men, Jerry Nadler and Suraj Patel.
Liz Krueger is currently representing the Upper West Side of Manhattan. She was first elected in 2002 and is currently Chair of the Senate Finance Committee. In her first ten years, before the 2022 Republican gerrymander, her district included Roosevelt Island. And so, she is no stranger in the community.
A graduate of Northwest University and the University o Chicago, she has spent her career fighting for social justice as an advocate, attorney, and politician. In the Senate, she has been a leader on issues like campaign finance reform, reproductive rights, and raising the minimum wage.
She is also a strong supporter of rent regulation and tenant protections, which are vital to her constituents on the Upper West Side. Senator Kreuger is a tireless fighter for her constituents and for the causes she believes in, and she has earned a reputation as one of the most effective lawmakers in Albany.
Liz Krueger is a strong advocate for progressive causes and her seniority in the State Senate will be a big asset for Roosevelt Island. She is someone who knows how to get things done in Albany and she will be a powerful voice for our community in the state legislature.
We’ll miss our friend José Serrano, but it’s not hard to imagine his being happier in a more sensible Senate district.
Pitch in. A little help with expenses keeps The Roosevelt Island Daily going…
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Tribeca vs Chelsea in NYC. Which is best for you?If you’re thinking of moving to New York City, you’re probably wondering what the difference is between Tribeca vs Chelsea. Both neighborhoods are great places to live, but they each have their own unique vibe.
- Is Tribeca Worth Visiting? It’s New York City’s Film CenterIf you’re looking for a place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, Tribeca is not the place for you. However, if you’re looking for a place to find some of
- Can Bromance Turn Into Romance?Hollywood would have us believe that bromance is simply a close, Platonic friendship between two men. But what if there’s more to it than that? What if bromance can turn into something deeper, something more
- 10 Reasons why you’d love living on the Upper West Side in New York CityHave you ever thought about living on the Upper West Side in New York City? Well, if you haven’t, you should! Here are 10 reasons why: by David Stone AD-> “Living on the UWS just
- Racism on the Red Bus: Lost and Found or Left Behind?Racism on the Red Bus stunk its way onto an Octagon Red Bus yesterday, the first day of Black History Month. Found on a seat, it was either lost or – more likely – deliberately