A rain storm turned to ice when temperatures plunged on Saturday. It was minimal, and no mishaps were reported… unless you include hazardous overdoses of rock salt spread everywhere.
by David Stone
Gold Flipped for Rock Salt
There was a time when New York City lured immigrants with tales about streets paved in gold. It wasn’t true, of course, but it was symbolic. Similarly, Roosevelt Island’s attraction was its quiet, natural beauty, its calm, peaceful streets with strict limitations on cars and trucks. These days, that’s gone too, the Island upended by cars and streets paved in dissolved rock salt.
Deicing the roads, then the hell with the aftermath
Rock salt is a type of road salt used to deice roads during winter weather. It is made up of sodium chloride, a naturally occurring mineral. When rock salt is used for deicing roads, it dissolves in the water on the road and forms a brine. The brine then lowers the freezing point of the water on the road, which prevents ice from forming.
The environmental impact of rock salt on roads depends on how it is used and disposed of. Rock salt can run off into nearby waterways, polluting the water. It also damages vegetation that comes into contact with it. If rock salt is not disposed of properly, it contaminates soil and groundwater.
How do you properly dispose of rock salt?
Proper disposal of rock salt includes using it following the manufacturer’s instructions and following local ordinances. It should be swept up and disposed of in a landfill or by incineration. If sweeping up the salt it is not possible, it can be plowed into the ground. Rock salt should not be dumped into waterways or on vegetation.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- The Real New York City, Down and DirtyYou know the saying, “If you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere?” Well, that’s BS. I’m from the real New York City and let me tell you, it ain’t easy
- What is a cat’s lifespan now? Shorter than ours but…Cats are one of the most popular pets in the world, and a cat’s lifespan varies depending on a number of factors. In this blog post, we’ll take a look at how long cats typically
- Will New York Be Underwater by 2050?Climate change is a real and present danger to our planet. New York City is one of the most vulnerable areas in the world when it comes to rising sea levels. If something isn’t done
- Cats Quotes – Insightful and Amusing Words from Smart MindsNational Cat Day is October 29th, and looking ahead, that got us thinking about all the ways cats have entwined themselves in peoples’ lives. This collection of cats quotes illustrates the breadth and depth of
- Mayor Adams Lays Out ‘Working People’s Agenda’ in State of the City SpeechMayor Eric Adams promised more jobs and housing — and fewer rats — during his second “state of the city” speech Thursday, where he laid out what he called a “Working People’s Agenda” for his