RIOC’s finally got the Blackwell Sidewalks right, months after work started on them and Blackwell Plaza. It took a while.
By David Stone
Over a period of weeks, late this summer, a RIOC contractor sent pedestrians, wheelchairs and baby strollers into Main Street, forcing them away from construction. What made it worse was its location directly in front of RIOC president Shelton J. Haynes office and across the street from his dedicated four-spot parking areas.
- What’s worse than RIOC seizing space in historic Blackwell House? Answer: Demanding free parking to go with it.
But now, after repeated complaints, the state agency that never makes a mistake seems to have gotten the message.
Credit where credit is due, especially as it regards public safety. Here’s one of the previous dilemmas in the same ares.
Maybe they learned something, and residents as well as visitors will be safer.
This article is dedicated to David Kraut who says that Roosevelt Island media never gives RIOC credit when they get it right.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- FDR Four Freedoms State Park, Cool Green Oasis in a Hot CityThe long, hot days of summer can be a brutal experience in the city. The concrete and asphalt reflect the heat back up at you, and the dry air seems to suck all the moisture
- THE GREAT MIGRATION FAILED TO BRIDGE THE RACIAL WEALTH DIVIDE. WHAT’S NEXT?Real and lasting economic opportunities for Black families will come only through a serious national reckoning on race. By Dedrick Asante-Muhammad, Briana Shelton | August 3, 2022 Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News During the early
- Judge Could Allow NYC Council to Revote on Education BudgetNew York City did not follow the proper procedure when approving the roughly $31 billion budget for the education department, a Manhattan judge said Thursday, potentially setting up the City Council to revote on funding
- After Alice Childress Library Rejected Racism ChargedAn Alice Childress Library? That was the dream of Michael Rogers, who Childress mentored into a successful career on stage, as well as others. It made sense for Roosevelt Island, but it was dismissed out
- Two Dead in NYCHA Housing Blaze Ignited by Exploding E-bike Battery, Officials SayA 5-year-old girl and a 36-year-old woman were killed by a fire inside a public housing apartment in Harlem that officials believe was caused by the exploding battery of an electric scooter. The blaze, which