RIOC upped the honors for its putative leader. Sprucing up the New York State Shelton J. Haynes Parking area, a fresh, brightly colored array of flowers fills a planter next to his huge gas guzzler. It should not be left alone with just empty spaces and a sign everyone ignores for company.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily…
- RIOC Promotes Mary Cunneen, Staffer with a “History.”Mary Cunneen, then Director of Parks and Recreation at RIOC, got my attention in 2018 when I ran into two women crying on Main Street. Cunneen, they said, was trying to shut down the Southpoint Park Cat Sanctuary. The story was true, but we still don’t know why she did it. by David Stone The
- When the Dog Ate Their Homework, RIOC’s Credibility Took A HitRIOC’s credibility took a hit on Saturday. No, the dog did not eat their homework, but it was damn close. Their “AVAC plant was struck by lightning,” they said. Show jaw drops here. The trouble was, nobody saw it, and not a single lightning strike was recorded within hundreds of miles. It was an all-new
- At RIOC, a Return to In-Person Board Meetings and the LyingAlthough there was plenty of misdirection and evasion as RIOC staged its first in-person post-COVID board meeting, we’ll focus on the worst of the lying. It was a return to tradition for the Shelton J. Haynes administration. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The lying started right out of the gate… or, on
- Update: Car Crashes Over the Roosevelt Island Seawall OvernightAround 2:00 a.m. on Saturday, a car sped past Cornell Tech, lost control, crashed through the seawall and plunged into the East River. The driver, who the cops say appeared to be intoxicated, swam to safety along with his father who was a passenger. We’re updating the car crash with pictures of the aftermath. by
- RIOC Budget for 2023-24 Hides Huges Losses at the TramTram operations will cost Roosevelt Islanders at least a million dollars in the RIOC budget for 2023-24. But it’s hidden, never clearly exposed in the financial plan for operating the twin cabins. Asked for comment, one expert said, “Shelton (President/CEO Haynes) is just not in the game…” He’s not alone. by David Stone The Roosevelt