Just when hopes rose that RIOC finally accepted responsibility for protecting Tram riders from COVID-19, another fresh round of maskless riders told a different story. In the most recent incident, the selfish bastards are in clear view, just feet from an indifferent operator
By David Stone
The round trip started with an encouraging sign. Boarding the Tram on Roosevelt Island, we witnessed a vigilant PSD officer making sure every passenger wore a face mask before lifting off for Second Avenue. She even ordered one mother to mask her pre-school child.
No one objected, and the officer carried a fresh supply of masks as she checked the cabin.
But returning, a different story.
Without PSD onboard, the Tram operator ignored multiple maskless passengers as the cabin headed home to Roosevelt Island. Halfway across, he suddenly awakened and told three passengers to pull up their masks. By then, of course, it was too late for a tired rider stuck between them, among others.
Only a hopeless optimist believes this is any exception as Roosevelt Island bucks the city trend, with infections rising while the rest of New York gets better.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Love Your Clothes Again: Eileen Fisher RenewDo you have a closet full of clothes you love but don’t wear anymore? Eileen Fisher Renew is here to help. We take your gently-worn Eileen Fisher clothes and give them new life. Not only
- Happy Shelton J. Haynes Cheapskate Holiday Now from RIOCWas a cheapskate holiday for Roosevelt Island exactly what RIOC President/CEO had in mind when RIOC’s contractor spread a much-reduced collection of decorations in early November? Downplaying local traditions is a hallmark of his administration.
- Governor Kathy Hochul Has A Message for Roosevelt Islanders: Get Lost!“Get lost!” The message from Albany shot loud and clear down the Hudson, landing on our little Island. Hochul vetoed a bill constructed by Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano, coordinating with Roosevelt
- We’ve Got the Money. Why Not End the Homeless Crisis Now?The homeless crisis is not only costly for individuals, but also for society as a whole. A study by the National Alliance to End Homelessness found that the cost of homelessness to taxpayers is approximately
- 5 Ways Weather Conditions Affect Your Physical HealthWeather conditions can have a significant impact on asthma and other respiratory problems. Cold weather, for example, can cause the airways to constrict, making it difficult to breathe. High humidity can also lead to increased