Global Citizen streamed live, much of it from Central Park, but we got behind the scenes with Lorde‘s Solar Power in Four Freedoms State Park. Catch the full video of her performance below.
By David Stone
The 24-hour streaming marathon, Global Citizen Live, balances on three pillars of public virtue, each consistent with the Four Freedoms mission. Defeat Poverty. Defend the Planet. Demand Equity. Stars from around the world hit the stage while the planet made one full turn.
Global Citizen Live with Lorde in Four Freedoms State Park on Roosevelt Island
“I am so thrilled that Lorde and Global Citizen decided to perform at FDR Four Freedoms State Park on Roosevelt Island,” said Four Freedom’s executive director Howard Axel.
Lorde is a New Zealander, but the New York design set for her fit perfectly.
“The park is fast becoming a recognizable in a world wide perspective,” Axel added, “as a true monument to Human Rights.”
“The Four Freedoms didn’t start with FDR, and I hope, with partners like Global Citizens, FDR Four Freedoms State Park can play a part in bringing more equity to our city, our state and beyond.”
Pitchfork magazine cites “…holistic beauty and revelations about the natural world…” in Lorde’s lyrics for Solar Power, but have a listen yourself. And enjoy the opening, sweeping aerial view of the park and Roosevelt Island.
All photos © Four Freedoms Conservancy. Used with permission.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Is Political Corruption as Widespread as Many Now Think?Corruption is a problem in many countries around the world. it is defined as the abuse of power by a person or group for personal gain. It can take many forms, including bribery, embezzlement, and
- Love Your Clothes Again: Eileen Fisher RenewDo you have a closet full of clothes you love but don’t wear anymore? Eileen Fisher Renew is here to help. We take your gently-worn Eileen Fisher clothes and give them new life. Not only
- Happy Shelton J. Haynes Cheapskate Holiday Now from RIOCWas a cheapskate holiday for Roosevelt Island exactly what RIOC President/CEO had in mind when RIOC’s contractor spread a much-reduced collection of decorations in early November? Downplaying local traditions is a hallmark of his administration.
- Governor Kathy Hochul Has A Message for Roosevelt Islanders: Get Lost!“Get lost!” The message from Albany shot loud and clear down the Hudson, landing on our little Island. Hochul vetoed a bill constructed by Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano, coordinating with Roosevelt
- We’ve Got the Money. Why Not End the Homeless Crisis Now?The homeless crisis is not only costly for individuals, but also for society as a whole. A study by the National Alliance to End Homelessness found that the cost of homelessness to taxpayers is approximately