A new secret project started this week by RIOC stirs apprehension, keeping the last one in mind. Is the super secret state agency taking over even more of Blackwell House’s surrounding area?
By David Stone
Last spring under the guidance of (fill in the blanks), RIOC deemed it wise seizing Blackwell House for executive office space. That followed residents coughing up millions for restoring it as an historic location, drawing visitors.
And soon, their brain trust decided that seizing four prime spaces of precious parking spots across the street was wise. Those became the New York State Shelton J. Haynes Parking Area because the boss and his assistant shouldn’t walk too far or ride a Red Bus for work.
Fortunately, though, while RIOC’s Project Tracker is hopelessly out of date, the not so new secret project shows up on page 2. We think.
If it’s the Blackwell House Plaza Pavers Project as listed, RIOC plans on putting over a million dollars into replacing the aging pavers.
But since it’s listed as having a completion date almost two years ago, it’s no more than a well informed guess until RIOC’s crack Communications Team gets around to an announcement.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- New York City Health & Hospital’s Community Mural Project Graces Coler“Healing in Community,” a part of NYC Health & Hospitals’s mural project, went live on December 1st at Roosevelt Islands’s Coler Rehabilitation Center. It’s one of nine additions to the wide-ranging effort this year. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The Community Mural Project is believed to be the country’s largest public hospital
- The “Eviction Machine” Now Slams Into Roosevelt IslandAs a community, we always thought we were immune from these things, but the “eviction machine” described in a New York Times article, is building up momentum, attacking Roosevelt Island’s most vulnerable residents. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News What happened…shows how New York City’s housing court system, created in part to shelter
- Who Just Made the Big Fat Silence You Didn’t Hear?It was RIOC, and that big fat silence billowed out in every direction as it had for months. Starting with brutal accusations in a lawsuit condemning a wide swath of Roosevelt Islanders as racists, the vacuum spread through escalating lawsuits into… nothing. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Another Big Fat Silence When
- FDNY Canceled a Dozen Inspections, Including at a Brooklyn Public School, to Fast Track City Hall VIPFire chiefs raised concerns about favoritism in the earliest months of the Adams administration, internal emails obtained by THE CITY show, as well-connected developers like The Related Companies lobbied to cut the fire inspection line. By Greg B. Smith Dec 3 12:00pm EST The pressure from Mayor Eric Adams’ team to fast-track an FDNY
- The Pentagon Just Can’t Pass An AuditConservative lawmakers calling for cuts should start with the agency that can’t account for $1.9 trillion — not the programs Americans rely on. By Lindsay Koshgarian | November 29, 2023 The Pentagon just failed its audit — again. For the sixth time in a row, the agency that accounts for half the money Congress approves each year