A new secret project started this week by RIOC stirs apprehension, keeping the last one in mind. Is the super secret state agency taking over even more of Blackwell House’s surrounding area?
By David Stone
Last spring under the guidance of (fill in the blanks), RIOC deemed it wise seizing Blackwell House for executive office space. That followed residents coughing up millions for restoring it as an historic location, drawing visitors.
And soon, their brain trust decided that seizing four prime spaces of precious parking spots across the street was wise. Those became the New York State Shelton J. Haynes Parking Area because the boss and his assistant shouldn’t walk too far or ride a Red Bus for work.
Fortunately, though, while RIOC’s Project Tracker is hopelessly out of date, the not so new secret project shows up on page 2. We think.
If it’s the Blackwell House Plaza Pavers Project as listed, RIOC plans on putting over a million dollars into replacing the aging pavers.
But since it’s listed as having a completion date almost two years ago, it’s no more than a well informed guess until RIOC’s crack Communications Team gets around to an announcement.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t