In a statement released to the Roosevelt Island Daily, AM Seawright said this on the Cuomo resignation:
I want to first and foremost again thank the brave women who came forward and told the stories of their abusive treatment within the highest executive office of our state. We owe them an enduring debt of gratitude. No amount of victim-shaming will ever diminish their courageous actions.
Governor Cuomo was right to announce his resignation today. New Yorkers will not be distracted from focusing on fighting against COVID-19 and on revitalizing the state economy. We must, however, take whatever steps are necessary to ensure that the devastating findings of the Attorney General’s report on the treatment of women and abuse of state resources are never again allowed to occur in New York State. I look forward to discussing how best to accomplish this with my constituents, Speaker Heastie, Judiciary Committee Chair Levine and Committee member colleagues.
I stand in strong support of Governor-Designate Kathy Hochul. She will make history as the first woman to hold the office of governor of New York. We will work with her to advocate the best interests of the people of our state as she begins the transition process over the two weeks. The people of New York deserve nothing less.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t