Resident anger burst the seams in an incident after a profound RIOC screw up denied Roosevelt Islanders access to prime fireworks viewing, this weekend. But RIOC walked tall, anyway. But in the middle of the street.
By David Stone
“I thought it was hilarious the way they were walking right in the middle of the road all shoulder to shoulder, taking up the whole road,” she wrote.
(Name withheld because of RIOC’s reputation for retaliating against critics.)
“Feel free to use the pic I took of (them) acting like the own the damn place.”
Resident Anger: Confronting Smug RIOC Troop Marching in the Street
The phalanx taking possession of the West Loop Road, usually reserved for cars included RIOC Community Relations Manager Erica Spencer-EL, second from the left. Along for the stroll were two uniformed officers and, behind the tree, PSD second in command, Anthony Amarosa.
Spencer-EL is widely assumed as a leading figure in RIOC’s colossal 4th of July screw up. And this follows earlier incidents at the Youth Center and with Learning Libraries, making her a focus of resident rage.
“I confronted them,” a startled resident reported.
“I just want to let you know that there are a whole bunch of us residents who are pretty upset that we couldn’t get tickets to this event,” she told them.
“We were all online at one pm on the dot and the tickets were sold out by four minutes past.
“And there wasn’t any way to screen to make sure the people registering were island residents. This really could have been handled differently.“
At this point, the RIOC gang stared at her without saying anything, but she wasn’t done.
“And there were supposed to be 400 more tickets that weren’t even distributed,” she told them.
The Roosevelt Island Daily cannot confirm any withheld tickets.
But the resident expressing her frustration got a reaction.
“Erica started gesticulating wildly to the guy beside her (Amarosa), showing her anger.
“Wow, she is really not nice!!!!”
As with so many frustrations, prior misconduct seeded this resident rage.
“I’m also irritated because they never responded to emails about a scouting group participating in Roosevelt Island Day… not so much as an apology or a courtesy response.”
And so goes RIOC and resident anger.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Severe Sleep Apnea Diagnosis Panics Reporter Until He Finds a Simple, No-Cost SolutionThe lab technician who watched me all night via video feed told me that I had “wicked sleep apnea” and that it was “central sleep apnea…” Jay Hancock, Kaiser Health NewsOctober 3, 2022 Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News I woke up in a strange bedroom with 24 electrodes glued all over my
- RIOC Promotes Mary Cunneen, Staffer with a “History.”Mary Cunneen, then Director of Parks and Recreation at RIOC, got my attention in 2018 when I ran into two women crying on Main Street. Cunneen, they said, was trying to shut down the Southpoint Park Cat Sanctuary. The story was true, but we still don’t know why she did it. by David Stone The
- Most Americans believe #MeToo has changed the climate around workplace sexual misconductOriginally published by The 19th Republished with Permission: The Roosevelt Island Daily News Almost five years since the #MeToo went viral, new data from the Pew Research Center finds that most Americans believe that the movement has made it more likely that people would be held accountable for workplace sexual harassment and assault. It also
- When the Dog Ate Their Homework, RIOC’s Credibility Took A HitRIOC’s credibility took a hit on Saturday. No, the dog did not eat their homework, but it was damn close. Their “AVAC plant was struck by lightning,” they said. Show jaw drops here. The trouble was, nobody saw it, and not a single lightning strike was recorded within hundreds of miles. It was an all-new
- At RIOC, a Return to In-Person Board Meetings and the LyingAlthough there was plenty of misdirection and evasion as RIOC staged its first in-person post-COVID board meeting, we’ll focus on the worst of the lying. It was a return to tradition for the Shelton J. Haynes administration. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The lying started right out of the gate… or, on