A concerned resident, yesterday, reported yet another maskless Red Bus rider ignored by RIOC’s driver. Locally, the beat goes on as Delta virus threats rise.
By David Stone
Two days later, more maskless passengers put their neighbors at risk while ultra passive RIOC refuses getting involved.
There are growing questions over what it will take for RIOC to care enough to deal with bus drivers unwilling to act. And an expensive Public Safety Department unwilling to get involved with, well, the biggest threat to public safety in a generation.
As if emphasizing the growing threat, Major League Baseball, on Friday, cancelled a big draw game between the Yankees and Red Sox.
The cause? A COVID-19 outbreak on a team already more than 85% vaccinated.
But it didn’t wake up RIOC.
But RIOC still refuses to take the disease seriously. In spite of claims to the contrary, drivers ignore maskless Red Bus riders, endangering other passengers.
Our readers previously stressed the threat for children, many of them not yet vaccinated and those under 12 not yet qualified. But appeals fell on deaf ears with the state agency.
The beat goes on. Who’s next?
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Why the 6-Hour Tram Shutdown Is Not Okay and the Engineering Malpractice Setting It UpYesterday’s 6-hour Tram shutdown points to a serious engineering flaw now known only because a technical failure exposed it. Here’s what RIOC has not explained. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Two hours into the 6-hour Tram shutdown, RIOC issued this advisory: “The Roosevelt Island Tram is currently down due to unforeseen technical … Read more
- How to Prep NYC for the Next Smoke Apocalypse?With bills to set emergency protocols and clear public information, Councilmember Lincoln Restler offers a playbook for the next time an orange haze engulfs the city. Samantha Maldonado, The City This article was originally published on Sep 28 5:00am EDT by THE CITY In early June, an unprecedented orange haze of wildfire smoke choked New … Read more
- Tips for Starting Your Own Independent BookstoreDo you want to turn your passion for books into a lucrative business? Find success with these tips for starting your own independent bookstore.
- What can we do about Main Street because, right now, it sucks.The suckiness of Main Street on Roosevelt Island is longstanding but has reached new, disappointing levels today. We – the community, RIOC, Hudson-Related – must do better. New people land here every day, but Main Street misses out, especially in the Canyon. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It took a bone-jarring ride … Read more
- UPDATE: Will Fall for Arts 2023 Actually Fall to Bad Weather?It never happened before, but a complete washout of the Fall for Arts Festival 2023 threatens. Current forecasts for Saturday’s re-scheduled opening call for a third straight day of clouds and showers in the morning. The Roosevelt Island Daily News UPDATE September 29th, 2023: RIOC has rescheduled Fall for Arts 2023 until October 7th, now … Read more