In another colossal screw up, RIOC first promised local residents first dibs on tickets for Macy’s 4th of July fireworks… And then failed to deliver. Many are furious.
By David Stone
A Colossal Screw Took Minutes, Bombing Residents’ Hopes
“Excuse my language, but that was a f*cking joke,” said one Facebook user.
“I am pretty experienced at getting tickets for popular events, and was in the RIOC site at 1:00 exactly and it showed ‘unavailable.’
“After refreshing I got the Register button, but when I clicked on it, it came back with a message that said ‘Event unavailable.’
“I refreshed on and off sometimes getting the Register button and sometimes not, but every time I got the Register button and clicked it, I got the same ‘Event unavailable’ message.
“At around 1:09 when I refreshed the site was now showing ‘sold out’ with a ‘Details’ button you can click that comes up with a message that says ‘This event has sold out online'”
Although a few got tickets, most Roosevelt Islanders reported similar results. Those getting tickets said they’d logged into the ticketing site beforehand, ignoring RIOC’s worthless link.
No one reported seeing any questions about their home addresses, further confirmation.
Anger rose as it grew apparent that RIOC lied to them again.
Neither RIOC nor New York State Parks responded to a request for explanations.
“Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration will be opening tomorrow, Wednesday, June 30th, at 1 PM. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to register for advanced tickets. Tickets will open to the general public the same day at 4 PM.RIOC Community Alert, June 29th.
Suspicions swelled over prospects for the colossal screw up that eventually unfolded.
Could the New York State agency that never makes a mistake really sequester tickets for local residents out of a miniscule 1,500 offered in the first place?
Of course, they couldn’t. RIOC’s alleged Communications Team works at their mission of branding and marketing Roosevelt Island, i.e., promoting a community like a commodity. But actually managing Island resources, their primary calling, eludes RIOC like they belong in a foreign country.
And for all intents and purposes, they do.
A Colossal Screw Up, But Cheerful
We’re sorry you missed it! Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration is now officially closed, tickets sold out.RIOC Advisory, June 30th, 2:30 p.m.
Then, at 3:21, these warm and wonderful people tweeted…
No need for looking hard. The message is clearly aimed at outsiders, those to whom community resources are marketed and branded. Without consulting taxpayers footing the bills and certainly without consent.
And, at around 4:00, while tempers and temperatures steamed, RIOC’s alleged Communications Team went out for a stroll along Main Street. Not in the direction of any RIOC facility.
Apparently just savoring a job well done.
While some hopes for RIOC’s remedying the situation by opening up Southpoint Park for residents’ viewing are in the air, chances are slim.
First, because RIOC’s not capable of turning on a dime to meet any need, and second, because with the bosses on vacation, only the Communications Team is here, running things.
The third reason is less obvious. And that is, none of this was by accident. The impact on residents was never a concern of RIOC’s.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- RIOC retaliation? Kids of mom who complained about racism now banned from swimmingWas it RIOC retaliation against a Roosevelt Island mom who charged the state agency with racism, last week? Without prior warning or even an explanation, she says, RIOC banned her girls from swimming at Sportspark. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News At 2:00 yesterday afternoon, Susana del Campo Perea left Sportspark with her
- Paving Over History, RIOC Obliterates the NYPL GardenRIOC calls it, “…renovating the open space and garden adjacent to the R.I. branch of the NYPL,” but really, it’s paving over history. Unless paving over open space qualifies as “improvement.” By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Observing the destruction, Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) president Judith Berdy mused… “The play area in
- People and Paint: Summer Splash, Scenes from an OpeningPeople and Paint make the story of this invigorating summer breakout as Summer Splash opened. It’s summer, people away, but the crowd came anyway. By David Stone Photos: Tad Sudol, Gallery RIVAA The Roosevelt Island Daily News Summer Splash: People and Paint Going out for gallery openings, people think about the art and the artists,
- Extreme Heat Sends New Yorkers to Emergency Rooms as Climate Toll GrowsSamantha Maldonado, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jul 27 at 8:28pm EDTby THE CITY The city is on pace to match 2018, when more than 700 people headed to the hospital due to hot weather, data shows. As the planet is warming, New York is feeling the heat: It recently placed as the
- Exceeding Expectations: Seen on the Roosevelt Island TramExceeding expectations is not normal with RIOC, but they pulled it off here. While the commitment to mask wearing is admirable, the WTF element carries us away. To the Midwest. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Exceeding Expectations on the Roosevelt Island Tram A reader emailed that she was “on the tram facing