In another colossal screw up, RIOC first promised local residents first dibs on tickets for Macy’s 4th of July fireworks… And then failed to deliver. Many are furious.
By David Stone
A Colossal Screw Took Minutes, Bombing Residents’ Hopes
“Excuse my language, but that was a f*cking joke,” said one Facebook user.
“I am pretty experienced at getting tickets for popular events, and was in the RIOC site at 1:00 exactly and it showed ‘unavailable.’
“After refreshing I got the Register button, but when I clicked on it, it came back with a message that said ‘Event unavailable.’
“I refreshed on and off sometimes getting the Register button and sometimes not, but every time I got the Register button and clicked it, I got the same ‘Event unavailable’ message.
“At around 1:09 when I refreshed the site was now showing ‘sold out’ with a ‘Details’ button you can click that comes up with a message that says ‘This event has sold out online'”
Although a few got tickets, most Roosevelt Islanders reported similar results. Those getting tickets said they’d logged into the ticketing site beforehand, ignoring RIOC’s worthless link.
No one reported seeing any questions about their home addresses, further confirmation.
Anger rose as it grew apparent that RIOC lied to them again.
Neither RIOC nor New York State Parks responded to a request for explanations.
“Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration will be opening tomorrow, Wednesday, June 30th, at 1 PM. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to register for advanced tickets. Tickets will open to the general public the same day at 4 PM.RIOC Community Alert, June 29th.
Suspicions swelled over prospects for the colossal screw up that eventually unfolded.
Could the New York State agency that never makes a mistake really sequester tickets for local residents out of a miniscule 1,500 offered in the first place?
Of course, they couldn’t. RIOC’s alleged Communications Team works at their mission of branding and marketing Roosevelt Island, i.e., promoting a community like a commodity. But actually managing Island resources, their primary calling, eludes RIOC like they belong in a foreign country.
And for all intents and purposes, they do.
A Colossal Screw Up, But Cheerful
We’re sorry you missed it! Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration is now officially closed, tickets sold out.RIOC Advisory, June 30th, 2:30 p.m.
Then, at 3:21, these warm and wonderful people tweeted…
No need for looking hard. The message is clearly aimed at outsiders, those to whom community resources are marketed and branded. Without consulting taxpayers footing the bills and certainly without consent.
And, at around 4:00, while tempers and temperatures steamed, RIOC’s alleged Communications Team went out for a stroll along Main Street. Not in the direction of any RIOC facility.
Apparently just savoring a job well done.
While some hopes for RIOC’s remedying the situation by opening up Southpoint Park for residents’ viewing are in the air, chances are slim.
First, because RIOC’s not capable of turning on a dime to meet any need, and second, because with the bosses on vacation, only the Communications Team is here, running things.
The third reason is less obvious. And that is, none of this was by accident. The impact on residents was never a concern of RIOC’s.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Love Your Clothes Again: Eileen Fisher RenewDo you have a closet full of clothes you love but don’t wear anymore? Eileen Fisher Renew is here to help. We take your gently-worn Eileen Fisher clothes and give them new life. Not only does this reduce waste and help the environment, but it also saves you money. Here’s how it works: by David
- Happy Shelton J. Haynes Cheapskate Holiday Now from RIOCWas a cheapskate holiday for Roosevelt Island exactly what RIOC President/CEO had in mind when RIOC’s contractor spread a much-reduced collection of decorations in early November? Downplaying local traditions is a hallmark of his administration. But is it anything more than laziness and indifference driving the new penny-pincher theme? by David Stone The Roosevelt Island
- Governor Kathy Hochul Has A Message for Roosevelt Islanders: Get Lost!“Get lost!” The message from Albany shot loud and clear down the Hudson, landing on our little Island. Hochul vetoed a bill constructed by Assembly Member Rebecca Seawright and Senator José Serrano, coordinating with Roosevelt Islanders. The bill aimed to create more local authority and transparency in running RIOC. This displeased the governor because it
- We’ve Got the Money. Why Not End the Homeless Crisis Now?The homeless crisis is not only costly for individuals, but also for society as a whole. A study by the National Alliance to End Homelessness found that the cost of homelessness to taxpayers is approximately $40,000 per year. This includes the cost of emergency services, healthcare, and incarceration. by David Stone The cost of homelessness
- 5 Ways Weather Conditions Affect Your Physical HealthWeather conditions can have a significant impact on asthma and other respiratory problems. Cold weather, for example, can cause the airways to constrict, making it difficult to breathe. High humidity can also lead to increased respiratory symptoms, as it can make the air more difficult to breathe. by David Stone Weather conditions can worsen asthma,