In another colossal screw up, RIOC first promised local residents first dibs on tickets for Macy’s 4th of July fireworks… And then failed to deliver. Many are furious.
By David Stone
The Roosevelt Island Daily News
A Colossal Screw Took Minutes, Bombing Residents’ Hopes
“Excuse my language, but that was a f*cking joke,” said one Facebook user.
“I am pretty experienced at getting tickets for popular events, and was in the RIOC site at 1:00 exactly and it showed ‘unavailable.’
“After refreshing I got the Register button, but when I clicked on it, it came back with a message that said ‘Event unavailable.’
“I refreshed on and off sometimes getting the Register button and sometimes not, but every time I got the Register button and clicked it, I got the same ‘Event unavailable’ message.
“At around 1:09 when I refreshed the site was now showing ‘sold out’ with a ‘Details’ button you can click that comes up with a message that says ‘This event has sold out online'”
Although a few got tickets, most Roosevelt Islanders reported similar results. Those getting tickets said they’d logged into the ticketing site beforehand, ignoring RIOC’s worthless link.
No one reported seeing any questions about their home addresses, further confirmation.
Anger rose as it grew apparent that RIOC lied to them again.
Neither RIOC nor New York State Parks responded to a request for explanations.
“Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration will be opening tomorrow, Wednesday, June 30th, at 1 PM. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to register for advanced tickets. Tickets will open to the general public the same day at 4 PM.RIOC Community Alert, June 29th.
Suspicions swelled over prospects for the colossal screw up that eventually unfolded.
Could the New York State agency that never makes a mistake really sequester tickets for local residents out of a miniscule 1,500 offered in the first place?
Of course, they couldn’t. RIOC’s alleged Communications Team works at their mission of branding and marketing Roosevelt Island, i.e., promoting a community like a commodity. But actually managing Island resources, their primary calling, eludes RIOC like they belong in a foreign country.
And for all intents and purposes, they do.
A Colossal Screw Up, But Cheerful
We’re sorry you missed it! Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration is now officially closed, tickets sold out.RIOC Advisory, June 30th, 2:30 p.m.
Then, at 3:21, these warm and wonderful people tweeted…
No need for looking hard. The message is clearly aimed at outsiders, those to whom community resources are marketed and branded. Without consulting taxpayers footing the bills and certainly without consent.
And, at around 4:00, while tempers and temperatures steamed, RIOC’s alleged Communications Team went out for a stroll along Main Street. Not in the direction of any RIOC facility.
Apparently just savoring a job well done.
While some hopes for RIOC’s remedying the situation by opening up Southpoint Park for residents’ viewing are in the air, chances are slim.
First, because RIOC’s not capable of turning on a dime to meet any need, and second, because with the bosses on vacation, only the Communications Team is here, running things.
The third reason is less obvious. And that is, none of this was by accident. The impact on residents was never a concern of RIOC’s.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl Delivery with a Smile and a Thank you note. We are Junior Girl Scouts of Troop 3233, we are working
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school, she spent harried days on her feet. Financial worries weighed heavy, even with health insurance and some paid time off
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department of Transportation obtained by THE CITY. Yoav Gonen, The City This article was originally published on Mar 16 at 5:55
[…] is widely assumed as a leading figure in RIOC’s colossal 4th of July screw up. And this follows earlier incidents at the Youth Center and with Learning Libraries, making her a […]
[…] we reported three days ago, a ticketing system set up by RIOC’s alleged Communications Team was a […]