In another colossal screw up, RIOC first promised local residents first dibs on tickets for Macy’s 4th of July fireworks… And then failed to deliver. Many are furious.
By David Stone
A Colossal Screw Took Minutes, Bombing Residents’ Hopes
“Excuse my language, but that was a f*cking joke,” said one Facebook user.
“I am pretty experienced at getting tickets for popular events, and was in the RIOC site at 1:00 exactly and it showed ‘unavailable.’
“After refreshing I got the Register button, but when I clicked on it, it came back with a message that said ‘Event unavailable.’
“I refreshed on and off sometimes getting the Register button and sometimes not, but every time I got the Register button and clicked it, I got the same ‘Event unavailable’ message.
“At around 1:09 when I refreshed the site was now showing ‘sold out’ with a ‘Details’ button you can click that comes up with a message that says ‘This event has sold out online'”
Although a few got tickets, most Roosevelt Islanders reported similar results. Those getting tickets said they’d logged into the ticketing site beforehand, ignoring RIOC’s worthless link.
No one reported seeing any questions about their home addresses, further confirmation.
Anger rose as it grew apparent that RIOC lied to them again.
Neither RIOC nor New York State Parks responded to a request for explanations.
“Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration will be opening tomorrow, Wednesday, June 30th, at 1 PM. Don’t miss out on the opportunity to register for advanced tickets. Tickets will open to the general public the same day at 4 PM.RIOC Community Alert, June 29th.
Suspicions swelled over prospects for the colossal screw up that eventually unfolded.
Could the New York State agency that never makes a mistake really sequester tickets for local residents out of a miniscule 1,500 offered in the first place?
Of course, they couldn’t. RIOC’s alleged Communications Team works at their mission of branding and marketing Roosevelt Island, i.e., promoting a community like a commodity. But actually managing Island resources, their primary calling, eludes RIOC like they belong in a foreign country.
And for all intents and purposes, they do.
A Colossal Screw Up, But Cheerful
We’re sorry you missed it! Registration for the Roosevelt Island Fourth of July Family Fireworks Celebration is now officially closed, tickets sold out.RIOC Advisory, June 30th, 2:30 p.m.
Then, at 3:21, these warm and wonderful people tweeted…
No need for looking hard. The message is clearly aimed at outsiders, those to whom community resources are marketed and branded. Without consulting taxpayers footing the bills and certainly without consent.
And, at around 4:00, while tempers and temperatures steamed, RIOC’s alleged Communications Team went out for a stroll along Main Street. Not in the direction of any RIOC facility.
Apparently just savoring a job well done.
While some hopes for RIOC’s remedying the situation by opening up Southpoint Park for residents’ viewing are in the air, chances are slim.
First, because RIOC’s not capable of turning on a dime to meet any need, and second, because with the bosses on vacation, only the Communications Team is here, running things.
The third reason is less obvious. And that is, none of this was by accident. The impact on residents was never a concern of RIOC’s.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Behind Closed Doors at RIOC, the Strange Promotion of Tajuna SharpeSources tell us that RIOC human resources director Tajuna Sharpe was quietly made Assistant Vice President. No formal announcement followed, but questions rose because of her critical role in the firing of Susan Rosenthal. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Tajuna Sharpe and Her Role in the Controversial Firing of Susan Rosenthal “Tajuna
- The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court unveiling at Capobianco FieldThe Roosevelt Island Daily News The George Braithwaite Table Tennis Court will be unveiled at Capobianco Field, Roosevelt Island, during the late sportsman’s Ping Pong Diplomacy Commemoration on Saturday, Oct. 23, reports Caribbean Life News. Braithwaite, who died last October, was born in Guyana but spent most of his life on Roosevelt Island. Read his
- Yachts Cruise Under the Roosevelt Island Bridge. Everyone Else WaitsEmergency vehicles, cars, bike and pedestrians wait while yachts cruise freely under the Roosevelt Island Bridge during UN Week. Didn’t anyone think about the risks? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News It’s UN Week, and some disruptions are necessary for security. The Roosevelt Island Bridge draws up, allowing taller vessels to pass. But
- MTA on ‘Mask Blitz’ Following Reports of Low ComplianceJose Martinez, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Sep 22 at 5:27pm EDTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. Police officers and transit workers distributed a record 26,000 masks in the transit system in the first three weeks of this month — topping the total for the
- Across the East River from Roosevelt Island, new clean energyA report in the New York Post says the state awarded a contract for the Clean Path Project. A 174 mile line will carry clean energy from Delaware County into New York City. Roosevelt Island Daily News The final destination is Con Ed’s Rainey Substation, just north of the Roosevelt Island Bridge. But you wouldn’t