RIOC’s Sportspark Pool reopening emerges from a cloud of confusion and mistrust over an apparent drowning, last month. Never explained, the incident claimed the life of a 21 year old man., according to skimpy reports.
By David Stone
RIOC, the state agency that never makes a mistake, released an advisory, after hours on Thursday before a summer weekend. As is also its custom, the advisory uses “no-reply” formatting; so that, folks receiving the message may not respond.
Although there is no evidence of wrongdoing or negligence, RIOC’s steadfast refusal to supply basic details is troubling. Generally, people with nothing to hide don’t hide anything, and RIOC hides whatever it can get away with. And then some.
Under the leadership of president/CEO Shelton J. Haynes, secrecy thrives as a government standard. The community pays all the bills, but RIOC fends off accountability like its a nest of angry hornets.
The Sportspark Pool Reopening Advisory
Here it is in all its clumsiness and opacity:
“Please be advised that, after a previous closure, Sportspark Pool will reopen on Monday, June 7th for normal operating hours:
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, & Friday, 7:30 AM – 3 PM
- Saturday – Sunday, 10:30 AM – 6 PM
- Closed: Thursday
“Kindly note that standard COVID—19 operating procedures will continue to be followed and admittance will be free for all.”
The Unknowns
While the state agency takes a “Trust me” position without support, it leaves critical questions unanswered.
- The identity and cause of death of the 21 year old victim.
- Roles played by RIOC personnel on the scene. (We know that another swimmer, not a lifeguard, pulled the victim out of the water.)
- Why was restaffing necessary as RIOC reported in an advisory?
- Did RIOC leadership contact the victim’s family or send condolences?
- What did RIOC’s internal investigation find and why was one required?
- Who was the manager of Sportspark, responsible for safety and accountability?
Not only is RIOC’s refusal to answer legitimate question another sign of failed leadership, it signals a singular lack of responsibility.
How long with Governor Cuomo, ultimately responsible for this debacle of a state agency, look away? When will state assembly member Rebecca Seawright step up and represent constituents here instead of turning a blind eye on RIOC?
Neither has said a word about the death of this young man or RIOC’s role in handling the tragedy.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Man Charged With Hate Crimes After Disrupting Shabbat Service at Central SynagogueA man was charged with hate crimes after disrupting a Shabbat service at Central Synagogue in Midtown Manhattan. The incident raised concerns about worshipper safety and led to increased police patrols and community care.
- Two Recent Assaults on Queens Subway Lines Spark Transit InvestigationsTwo recent assaults on Queens subway lines have led to ongoing transit investigations, prompting increased safety measures and community response across key commuting routes.
- Violent Incidents on Queens Subway Lines Raise Rider Safety ConcernsRecent violent incidents on Queens subway lines have increased rider concerns as police investigate and communities discuss safety precautions.
- Dog found dead during College Point parole checkDog found dead during parole check in College Point raises concerns about animal welfare and leaves the neighborhood with questions about agency response and animal safety.
- Permits filed for mixed-use building at 25-05 35th StreetPermits for a new mixed-use development at 25-05 35th Street in Long Island City highlight steady neighborhood transformation, with residential, commercial, and community space proposed.
You Can’t Be All Three
April 9, 2026, during the full board meeting of the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation, Fay Christian said something that should have landed harder than it did. She wished RIOC were not responsible for the tram. Then she asked what it would look like if it were given to the MTA. That was not a passing comment.











1 COMMENTS