A drowning death in Sportspark went unnoticed by local residents for 24 hours. And it wasn’t until the Roosevelt Islander started poking around that skimpy details began trickling out.
Although the drowning death occurred on May 16th, late on a Sunday afternoon, according to a report by the Roosevelt Islander, residents were mostly in the dark until this morning. That’s when they were confronted with a “Pool Closed” sign at Sportspark.
RIOC’s ineptness at communicating is legendary and worse than ever lately, but this one’s troubling.
Because the state agency disclosed nothing until the Roosevelt Islander asked questions, its failure has red flags flying.
After getting a tip, the Roosevelt Islander asked both FDNY and RIOC about the rumored incident.
According to FDNY, “Units responded to 250 W. Main st at 17:21 hrs on 05/16 for a report of a drowning /cardiac arrest. Patient transported to Mt Sinai queens.”
But RIOC Mysteriously Hesitates, Then Confuses
But RIOC did not answer until hours later. And for whatever reason, it was pure boilerplate and CYA:
It is with great sadness that we confirm on Sunday, May 16th at approximately 5:25 p.m., a 21-year-old individual, who was utilizing Sportspark Pool, was rushed to Mount Sinai Queens where they were pronounced dead.
Chief Kevin Brown of the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation Public Safety Department responded to the incident, along with EMT, FDNY, and NYPD. RIOC is working in full support of an investigation being conducted by the NYPD and the Medical Examiner’s office. Additionally, an internal review is being conducted by RIOC to learn and understand the facts surrounding this devastating incident.
During this time, the thoughts, prayers, and condolences of everyone at RIOC are with the family, friends, and loved ones of this young person.RIOC Alert, 4:34 p.m., May 17th, 2021.
Drowning death in Sportspark questions…
What jumps out immediately is the lack of a cause or any details. The Roosevelt Islander reports a rumor of a heart attack and a drowning, and the FDNY repeats that.
But according to RIOC, a 21-year-old was “utilizing” Sportspark and was rushed to the hospital. No reason given.
Deeply concerning is the failure to mention a lifeguard or any other RIOC personnel, except PSD chief Kevin Brown, who certainly was not the first on the scene.
And why emphasize “…working in full support of an investigation being conducted by the NYPD and the Medical Examiner’s office.“
And what’s provoking an “internal review?”
In reality, we learn more from the Roosevelt Islander than from RIOC. And more timely too, and that’s not right.
At 5:30, RIOC announced an ‘Emergency Board Meeting” for tomorrow at 5:30. Because they cancelled their regular May meeting, just last week, this is a curious development. It may have nothing to do with the Sportspark drowning. The single agenda item is “Pending Litigation,” which means they may go immediately into executive session, that is, they kick us out.
We will keep you informed.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily…
- Albany Democrats Seize Control of Redistricting, With Unclear Role for PublicClifford Michel and Farah Javed, THE CITY This article was originally publishedon Jan 26 at 9:59pm ESTby THE CITY/Sign up here to get the latest stories from THE CITY delivered to you each morning. After years of championing an “independent” commission to control the crucial redrawing of congressional and legislative districts, Democratic state leaders are taking over the process.
- Watch on for up to a foot of snow, starting tomorrow across New York CityUp to a foot of snow is forecast for Roosevelt Island and the rest of New York City. An official Winter Storm Watch is on, with flakes piling up, starting Friday night. by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News A Foot of Snow Possible, This Weekend The coastal storm, fed by a clash of
- Opening Friday, MSTDA’s lively new teen show polishes its finishing touchesThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time opens on Friday. (Tickets here.) As these picture at live rehearsal show, the players will be ready. Photos: Zackry Childers The Roosevelt Island Daily News Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily davidstone1313 See author's posts
- Cuomo-Hochul, Hochul-Cuomo – “Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss…?”Whether it’s Cuomo-Hochul or the other way around, it looks more and more like the same old song with the same political patronage and the same big money supporters. Are we being fooled again? by David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Cuomo-Hochul, Hochul-Cuomo: What’s the difference? Not as much as you might suspect, considering
- Has anyone seen RIOC?Has anyone seen RIOC lately? That’s what I was thinking after watching a PSD officer, his hands in his pockets, ignore cars and eBikes roll through a stop sign right in front of him on Monday evening. Since The Girl Puzzle ribbon-cutting in early December, the state agency faded without explanation. by David Stone The