Last week, the growing East Promenade sinkhole challenged the size of RIOC’s secrecy about it. Other things grew too. For example, the lack of safety surrounding it. And an apparent pigeon poop project at the scene.
By David Stone
No one could be blamed, if at first glance, they mistook sinkhole “remediation” for a new whimsical RIOC Pigeon Poop Project.
The always creative state agency allowed the birds to work on something resembling an excremental Jackson Pollack image. Leave it to those playful rascals to delight residents with a surprise…
As RIOC obliquely advised, the whole area is under remediation. Probably hoping to spare us some stress, they did not identify whatever was being remediated.
When you look closer and check out our report from March, you find the whateveritis bigger than ever.
The growing East Promenade sinkhole…
We got a closer look because barriers no longer fully surround the growing sinkhole. Anyone — kids, pets, RIOC execs — can walk right up for a good look.
Appearances suggests workers trying to catch up with an expanding sinkhole.
Let’s take a closer look.
Pavement continues cracking and falling into oblivion, expanding past a protective cover.
Figuring out what they are covering is hard because RIOC’s not saying, but in her lawsuit, ex-president/CEO Susan Rosenthal swears the area in in danger of catastrophic collapse.
One in a mile long series of hints that Rosenthal is right is immediately adjacent to the growing East Promenade sinkhole.
RIOC, we are sure, is all over this thing. They’re just sparing us the stress of knowing anything about it. Their three-person Communications Team never rests, thinking always about how best they can keep Roosevelt Islanders uninformed.
More from the Roosevelt Island Daily News
- Factors That Affect Commercial Solar Panels’ EfficiencyWant to know how to ensure optimal commercial solar panel efficiency? Explore the various factors that influence performance, from weather to cleanliness.
- Get Your Girl Scout Cookies NowLeire and Itziar are selling Girl Scout Cookies, offering FREE Shipping from March 20 -27. 5-package minimum and 12-package maximum per order. You can place as many orders as you want. We also offer Girl Delivery with a Smile and a Thank you note. We are Junior Girl Scouts of Troop 3233, we are working
- The US Remains a Grim Leader in Preterm Births. Why? And Can We Fix It?Tamara Etienne’s second pregnancy was freighted with risk and worry from its earliest days — exacerbated by a first pregnancy that had ended in miscarriage. A third-grade teacher at an overcrowded Miami-Dade County public school, she spent harried days on her feet. Financial worries weighed heavy, even with health insurance and some paid time off
- Common Woodworking Problems and SolutionsProfessionals and hobbyists understand the woes of woodworking. Fortunately, a few woodworking problems have smart solutions you should know.
- Immobilized Astor Place Cube Slated to Spin Again by SummerThe iconic Astor Place Cube, which has been immobilized for nearly a year because of structural damage, would be restored to its original free-spinning glory by July 17, under a proposal from the city Department of Transportation obtained by THE CITY. Yoav Gonen, The City This article was originally published on Mar 16 at 5:55