The now headless Roosevelt Island Lighthouse poses a dilemma. Once a lighthouse loses its head, is it still a lighthouse?
By any of its previous names – Blackwell Island Lighthouse, Welfare Island Lighthouse – the Roosevelt Island Lighthouse, over nearly 150 years, never lost its head. It’s historic plus, designed by James Renswick. Renwick also dreamed up St. Patrick’s Cathedral as well as the Roosevelt Island Smallpox Hospital, the skeleton now mostly stabilized in Southpoint Park.
This image is from the interim stage of restoring the lighthouse, a project overseen by the Roosevelt Island Operating Corporation. Plans are for it being ready to celebrate its 150 birthday, next year.
Also from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Happy Holiday Gifts for Cat Lovers and FriendsBest Choice Gifts for Cat Lovers Gifts for cat lovers from handmade artist Deborah Julian bring you a wide choice of cards and artwork that will delight and stay. High quality Famous Artists’ Cats Card
- The View, Roosevelt Island’s Secret Front Yard in AutumnRoosevelt Island’s secret front yard wasn’t built for hiding, but history made it that way. As a result, it’s easy to miss as it slopes toward the East River. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island
- “Miracle on Main Street,” RIVAA Holiday Group Show Opens SaturdayIn a holiday tradition, on Saturday, December 4th, the Roosevelt Island Visual Art Association, opens Miracle on Main Street. Everyone is invited to meet the artists and appreciate their work at a free public reception
- Fulfilling a community’s worst fears, the Southpoint “renovation” is now completeIs the now finished Southpoint “renovation” an example of tasteless bureaucrats run amuck or something worse? Redeeming virtues are few, and a walk through repeatedly brings up the question: Why? By David Stone The Roosevelt
- Good news now: The reindeer herd at the Tram Plaza has not been culled…As we reported earlier, RIOC’s holiday decorating team planned on culling the reindeer herd in the Tram Plaza, from five to four. But in reality, they went the other way. There are now six “healthier”