Macy’s Flower Show 2021 was unexpected. They scrambled, putting it together much faster than usual as COVID restrictions slowly lifted. We went on a photo safari for sharing with readers who may not be able to see it themselves.
By David Stone
Walking through Macy’s Flower Show 2021
When we moved to New York in 1990, the annual flower show in Herald Square drew me from my office on lower Madison Avenue for an irresistible lunchtime visit. But this year, its role in celebrating spring in New York City carried special significance.
Outside, flourishing pink bouquets bordered thoughtfully arranged window displays.
Aware of a pandemic still spreading, Macy’s playfully reminded visitors about social distancing.
Inside, floral displays top sales floors, but that’s a small part of much greater beauty.
The mesmerizing sweetness of this main aisle display demanded a video because a still could never capture it.
Escalators are a convenience, but at Macy’s, they were also a treat with displays guiding you past.
At Macy’s Flower Show 2021, a theme of strength but also beauty.
With tourists returning, the sidewalks were busy, even on a weekday. But only locals can fully appreciate the “To New York City from Macy’s” salute.
The main floor was a rich with floral design as it was with shoppers.
The main aisle was a sweet-smelling pleasure, but a different appreciation awaited above.
Well-planned designs included altering support columns with flowery arrays.
What struck us the most? On the main floor, Macy’s designers took the trouble of adding blue birds on the wire, a nifty unexpected touch.
Going down… If you can still find time for Macy’s Flower Show 2021, it runs for one more week, closing on May 16th.
But if you can’t, we hope we did it as much justice as possible without taking you there.
Latest New from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Is it expensive living on Roosevelt Island? Not when you know where to look“This just made me so sad for this lovely Island… “I just observed a woman urinating in a cup in the sitting area at top of subway steps/elevators. No public safety, no NYC police and no mta employees visible. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “I have only been working on RI 5
- Happy Pride at Roosevelt Island Graduate HotelGraduate Roosevelt Island hosts Happy Pride, a series of pop-ups from NYC favorites on Saturday, June 26th. Graduate recently opened at the entrance to the Cornell Tech campus. The Roosevelt Island Daily News So, what’s up with Happy Pride The event includes Big Gay Ice Cream, nail-art and mini manicures from Paint Box, Magic Mix Juicery, a
- At last, RIOC shuts down its costly, mysterious COVID testing siteRIOC’s mysterious COVID testing site is closing, stopping the cash drain from residents’ pockets. But the state’s still unwilling to tell us enough about it. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News While lies and deception remain unchecked, RIOC says its Swift Rapid COVID testing site expires on June 30th. This follows an inexplicable
- William vanden Heuvel dies. The Founder and guiding spirit at Four Freedoms ParkYesterday, June 15th, 2021, William vanden Heuvel died at his home in Manhattan. The cause was pneumonia, but in real time, the man’s legacy lives on. He’ll not simply be remembered, his spirit will be embraced. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News “We need the patience to prevail, the discipline to succeed, the
- Hey, New York! You earned it. COVID restrictions blow away with fireworks tonightAs Governor Andrew Cuomo promised, most COVID restrictions blow away today after New Yorker hit the 70% adult vaccination rate. Worth fireworks? You got ’em. The launched across the state, last night. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News COVID Restrictions Blown Away Restrictions fell away on capacity, social distancing, cleaning and disinfection, health