Macy’s Flower Show 2021 was unexpected. They scrambled, putting it together much faster than usual as COVID restrictions slowly lifted. We went on a photo safari for sharing with readers who may not be able to see it themselves.
By David Stone
Walking through Macy’s Flower Show 2021
When we moved to New York in 1990, the annual flower show in Herald Square drew me from my office on lower Madison Avenue for an irresistible lunchtime visit. But this year, its role in celebrating spring in New York City carried special significance.
Outside, flourishing pink bouquets bordered thoughtfully arranged window displays.
Aware of a pandemic still spreading, Macy’s playfully reminded visitors about social distancing.
Inside, floral displays top sales floors, but that’s a small part of much greater beauty.
The mesmerizing sweetness of this main aisle display demanded a video because a still could never capture it.
Escalators are a convenience, but at Macy’s, they were also a treat with displays guiding you past.
At Macy’s Flower Show 2021, a theme of strength but also beauty.
With tourists returning, the sidewalks were busy, even on a weekday. But only locals can fully appreciate the “To New York City from Macy’s” salute.
The main floor was a rich with floral design as it was with shoppers.
The main aisle was a sweet-smelling pleasure, but a different appreciation awaited above.
Well-planned designs included altering support columns with flowery arrays.
What struck us the most? On the main floor, Macy’s designers took the trouble of adding blue birds on the wire, a nifty unexpected touch.
Going down… If you can still find time for Macy’s Flower Show 2021, it runs for one more week, closing on May 16th.
But if you can’t, we hope we did it as much justice as possible without taking you there.
Latest New from the Roosevelt Island Daily
- Will the Roosevelt Island Tram tumble out of New York City Transit?Don’t tell the Roosevelt Island Tram operators, but the MetroCard will be gone in a little over a year. That’s according to TimeOut New York. But what does that mean for Roosevelt Island? By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The Roosevelt Island Daily thanks Sylvan Klein for the heads up. The Roosevelt Island
- RIHS Returns The Elevator Storehouse Plaque Home On Roosevelt IslandEfforts by the Roosevelt Island Historical Society (RIHS) paid off yesterday when an original plaque from the Elevator Storehouse came home. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News The plaque, identifying a building providing elevator service to Roosevelt Island from the Queensboro Bridge, arrived by car. Historical Society leader Judith Berdy arranged it. She
- A Gunboat in the East River Off Roosevelt IslandA gunboat in the East River, this morning, a blast from an painful past, a reminder of the sad way we were. By David Stone The Roosevelt Island Daily News Twenty years ago, after the World Trade Center disaster, gunboats in the East River were a daily fixture. Walking from Manhattan Park to the subway,
- It’s Constitution Week. Lynne Shinozaki and NYPL Welcome You to Learning More“We met at the Roosevelt Island Library last Friday to promote awareness of Constitution Week,” Shinozaki says. “It’s a National Celebration to bring renewed awareness to the awesome document that our Country is based on.” The Roosevelt Island Daily News “Please stop by our Roosevelt Island Public Library, 504 Main Street, and learn more about
- KICK SOME ASS, ROOSEVELT ISLAND. MAKE THE BASTARDS LISTENMake the bastards listen, Roosevelt Island. Kick a little ass now because it’s the only path you have for running your own community. davidstone1313 See author's posts