Deborah Julian’s handmade cards are original. They combine the tradition of fine art and the fun of cat art. The cat cards here started out as cat prints and were adapted to make handmade cards.
By David Stone
Handle with Care is the artist’s icon. It expresses her belief in how cats ought to be treated — with kindness. Always.
Cat Cards Inspired by Famous Artists: Pierre Bonnard
Rich with colors and setting is characteristic of paintings by Pierre Bonnard.
In After Lunch With Pierre Bonnard, Deborah Julian imagines two house cats appreciating the dining room after all the humans have left.
Dogs and cats are common in scenes Bonnard painted from his family’s country home.
A devoted post-impressionist in his later years, he worked from photographs instead of from sketches or painting directly from life.
The net result was painting extraordinarily rich in detail and saturated with colors.
You might want to check out another cat print inspired by Bonnard: Bathers from Famous Artists Cats.
Also Inspired by Famous Artists: Edward Hopper
Although a great admirer who has studied his artwork extensively, Deborah Julian took her time before creating her first cat print based on Edward Hopper.
Cats In Edward Hopper’s Window recreates a familiar scene from Hoppers urban art. His paintings imagined realistic settings but were actually adventures in surreal expressionism.
After many exhibit featuring paintings by Hopper, I’ve never seen a cat, and there is no reason to think he especially liked cats.
People writing about him tend to gloss over his moodiness and the distance he kept from people.
Even his wife Jo, his frequent model who was largely responsible for his commercial success, had this to say about him: “Sometimes talking to Eddie is just like dropping a stone in a well, except that it doesn’t thump when it hits bottom.
Never the less, as you can see, as long as he had some good windows to look at, the cats are willing to populate them anyway.
To see more check out Deborah Julian Cards & Prints on Etsy
Also from The Thing about Cats
- The need for pet estate planning: What if you go first?Have you thought about pet estate planning or even heard of it? Six million animals enter shelters every year in the U.S. Many are strays, of course, but a full 30% are turned over by
- The Top Eight Perks of Having a Cat in Your Life NowIs there anything cuter or more cuddly than a kitten? If you’re thinking about adding a furry friend to your family, you can’t go wrong with a cat. In addition to being adorably fuzzy creatures,
- The strange and wonderful world of cats in artCats have always been popular subject matter for artists, dating back to ancient times. In fact, cats are one of the most commonly depicted animals in art history. by David Stone for Assorted Ideas, Large
- About Henri Matisse’s Goldfish Paintings, Plus Some CatsSome of Henri Matisse’s most famous paintings feature goldfish. Goldfish were a recurrent motif in Matisse’s work, appearing in over fifty of his paintings. In many of these works, the goldfish are depicted swimming in
- Pet Lovers Urge Greater Accountability for Wrongful Deaths in Hands of VetsReuven Blau, THE CITY When Francesca Khalifa picked up her beloved cat from a Brooklyn veterinary clinic after an emergency visit for stomach issues last fall, she couldn’t understand why he was suddenly limping and