Deborah Julian’s handmade cards are original. They combine the tradition of fine art and the fun of cat art. The cat cards here started out as cat prints and were adapted to make handmade cards.
By David Stone
Handle with Care is the artist’s icon. It expresses her belief in how cats ought to be treated — with kindness. Always.
Cat Cards Inspired by Famous Artists: Pierre Bonnard
Rich with colors and setting is characteristic of paintings by Pierre Bonnard.
In After Lunch With Pierre Bonnard, Deborah Julian imagines two house cats appreciating the dining room after all the humans have left.
Dogs and cats are common in scenes Bonnard painted from his family’s country home.
A devoted post-impressionist in his later years, he worked from photographs instead of from sketches or painting directly from life.
The net result was painting extraordinarily rich in detail and saturated with colors.
You might want to check out another cat print inspired by Bonnard: Bathers from Famous Artists Cats.
Also Inspired by Famous Artists: Edward Hopper
Although a great admirer who has studied his artwork extensively, Deborah Julian took her time before creating her first cat print based on Edward Hopper.
Cats In Edward Hopper’s Window recreates a familiar scene from Hoppers urban art. His paintings imagined realistic settings but were actually adventures in surreal expressionism.
After many exhibit featuring paintings by Hopper, I’ve never seen a cat, and there is no reason to think he especially liked cats.
People writing about him tend to gloss over his moodiness and the distance he kept from people.
Even his wife Jo, his frequent model who was largely responsible for his commercial success, had this to say about him: “Sometimes talking to Eddie is just like dropping a stone in a well, except that it doesn’t thump when it hits bottom.
Never the less, as you can see, as long as he had some good windows to look at, the cats are willing to populate them anyway.
To see more check out Deborah Julian Cards & Prints on Etsy
Also from The Thing about Cats
- Which cats are hypoallergenic? Get the Benefits Without the SneezingWhile there are many different breeds of cats, not all of them are hypoallergenic. In general, hypoallergenic breeds tend to have less fur and produce less of the protein that causes allergies in humans. As
- You can tell a lot about a man by how his cat feels about himby Millie Procter A lot of people think that you can’t judge a man by his cat. But I beg to differ. I believe that you can learn a lot about a man by the
- 40% Off Cat Note Card Sets While They Last. Buy Now.Deborah Julian Art Newsletter, October 2022. This month it’s all about sales because we are closing out our stock of economy-based notecard packs. They’ve been popular for a long time, but nothing lasts forever. It’s
- Pet Health Insurance: Why It Matters and Which One Is Best for Your Dog or CatPets are part of the family, and pet health insurance is a must. Pets nourish us with companionship, unconditional love and support when we need it the most. In return, we supply them with food,
- What Are The Most Common Cat Health Problems?Ailments and injuries happen to all of us – even our feline friends. As a cat owner, it’s important to be aware of the most common cat health problems so you can keep an eye